One benefit to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1, Diving with any appreciable congestion is asking for it.
2, The common technique is the Valsalva maneuver, not Valhalla which comes from Norse mythology.

Now I think you were trying to make a valid point and shot yourself in the foot with your bull headed approach do ear safety. Prior to diving my ears were a good 12 hours getting back to full function after air travel. Now I go up and down scarcely noticing and my hearing seems to be 100% when I get off of the plane. I attribute this at least in part to my tubes becoming more patent and amenable to clearing from diving.

Pete

Last edited:
My main purpose of this thread was to make beginner divers aware that bleeding is fine and perfectly normal in most cases and to not panic if you bleed or see another person bleed that is unless sharks are aroun

No, it wasn't. Otherwise you would have titled your post differently.

I've had a reverse squeeze that occurred due to a fast oncoming flu, I'd had no other symptoms of until a titan trigger chased me and I unintentionally ascended 10' in a hurry. This is an experience NO ONE wants to ever have. Fortunately, I had enough air to be able to work it out and eeventually ascend. That said, my very next stop was to have my ears checked out. I did develop an inner ear infection but my dives were over anyway.

In October,on a liveaboard at a location new to me, that I was enjoying mightily, I started having trouble equalizing and then sat myself out for the rest of the trip. It was very sad but I read a few books and relaxed. AND because I was sensible,I was able to have a wonderful dive vacation a month later with nary a problem.

Littlerayray, please notice that the people strongly recommending against this practice set out on your OP have significantly more than 40 dives to back up our positions on this matter.

I would have to agree.

In almost 200 dives, I have only seen a diver bleed one time.

On that one time, a dive to 130' for a deep certification, he passed us going up the anchor line, made a half hearted safety stop and flew up the final 15'. I was surprised a bloody nose was all he experienced!

bleeding is fine and perfectly normal in most cases and to not panic if you bleed or see another person bleed that is unless sharks are aroun
No, bleeding is not fine. I've had some nosebleeding a couple of times myself. It was because I misjudged how congested I was and had to use a stronger than normal Valsalva maneuver to equalize. I was less experienced and didn't realize I should have called the dive the first time I had to work a bit to equalize. Since I have thin blood vessels in my nose, one of those broke from the Valsalva and there was some bleeding. A small nosebleed is nothing to freak out about, but it's not "perfectly normal". Bleeding is a sign that something isn't right. I misjudged, and I learned from those mistakes. Now I know better when to just call the dive before kitting up, and I don't get nosebleeds. But I've sat out quite a few planned dives...

I bleed often from my nose and my entire said it's fine and that it does happen with divers I dive with several people that bleed on occasion you don't feel it and only notice it when there's blood in your mask I raised the question to my entire as well and he said it was fine

Littlerayray, please notice that the people strongly recommending against this practice set out on your OP have significantly more than 40 dives to back up our positions on this matter.
While I agree with you on the whole of your statement, he never said he only had 40 dives. He said that was how many he had to this point this year. Carry on the flogging.

Back
Top Bottom