Does anyone else find that the traditional valsalva maneuver doesn't work at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backprop

Contributor
Reaction score
Title says it. I've been certified for about 13 years and have found that the valsalva maneuver as traditionally taught in OW certification just doesn't work for me at all. As in never, not once!

I find I can generally clear or 'pop' my ears without moving anything (hands, nose, throat), or - failing that - by swallowing and/or doing a very slight head tilt.

During training I thought I'd never be able to dive because this hallowed and sacred maneuver didn't work...but have found others so much better and easier.

Does the VM not work for anyone else?

This may be indicative of a more serious ailment?

such as, doc? :blinking:

Even sitting here now, I can pop my ears at will...but VM doesn't do much of anything.

Thanks for the offer.

I hoped I made it clear in my first post - I have absolutely no issues clearing my ears. I can do it at will.

It's just that of all the methods available, the valsalva maneuver - the go-to and often only method taught by certification agencies - is by far the least useful to me.

Valsalva doesn't work for me, either. I need to squeeze nose and swallow. It is the Toynbee Maneuver.
Consequently, when I'm teaching open water, before we ever get wet we sit in the classroom and clear our ears...with as many techniques being offered as are needed for those students. I find Valsalva alone may work for about a third of the folks, but remind them they can easily overdo it and to find another gentler technique that also works for them.

I get a lot of students on referral or for AOW who have never learned anything except Valsalva, to their unhappiness, usually.

I was somewhat disappointed on my first OW dive during certification because at about 15' it became apparent I wasn't equalizing my ears and the pressure was building to painful levels. I kept trying the valsalva, ascending a few feet trying again, descending slightly and finally got them equalized and once equalized beyond 15-20' never had issues any further.

On my 2nd-4th cert dives I had much more luck by swallowing and tilting my head.

Then I read a different description of how to perform the valsalva, something about thinking of forcing air from your cheeks down your throat or soemthing... anyway... that worked... I felt the pressurization which I'd never felt by just pinching my nose and blowing.

To get to 20' requires a little work but once I get below 20' swallowing is all I have to do.

+1

I use Toynbee as well. Valsalva kinda works, aint great though.

I also can't get the job done without swallowing, I use the Toynbee maneuver. I've had periods when I was able to equalize by swallowing alone. Right now, I'm having equalization issues on almost every dive. Maybe it's just the cold weather, or maybe I'm getting old.

I can't do the Valsalva at all. It does absolutely nothing. I think one time I got a little crackle in my ear. I open my mouth slightly to clear my ears. I've never tried the Toynbee under water, but on land it feels like it's pushing the pressure the wrong way. I don't really know how to describe it. When I open my mouth slightly like I do while descending it feels like it's opening my ears. When I plug and swallow it feels like it closes them and I have to open my mouth to "unclog" them. Does it have the opposite effect underwater? I've always been afraid to try the hold nose and swallow because of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom