Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Monday night at Del monte wharf. My buddies call. 10-15 vis lots of particulates in the water. So so dive, long but shallow. I think I hit 100 minutes. Some neat macro subjects.
Some guys yelled at us to stay on our side and keep out of the Abalone, when we were getting in. No problem, they are not photogenic.
Looks like I flooded my camera in the rinse bucket though, piped a latch so how. So much pain and self condemnation.

Picts:
https://flickr.com/photos/8859561@N08/sets/72157661456977222

Probable the last for a while :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 01:10 AM ----------

Ooo good luck getting that back raftingtigger! Post on the BA yahoo group too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone have eyes on Coral street? I'm wondering if there's any kelp to dive in. It was sparse & a good kick out in July. The wave model looks like it might be dive-able tomorrow, but I don't want to bother if there's no kelp.

Anyone have eyes on Coral street? I'm wondering if there's any kelp to dive in. It was sparse & a good kick out in July. The wave model looks like it might be dive-able tomorrow, but I don't want to bother if there's no kelp.

We did a Reef Check survey at Coral St on Sept 26; the kelp was extremely sparse. There were plenty of these guys, though:

IMG_9172.jpg

It's been like that since at least June. It'll be interesting to see if the kelp makes a comeback there next year or not.

Cold and windy on Friday, the water (55F) was actually warmer than the parking lot (49F). Pretty much had the place to ourselves - a handful of divers and even fewer fish, I saw one perch the entire dive. I guess everyone was out looking for a deal. Got some in-water time in our new drysuits, so that was good.
Dive#2 at Hula's.

Two great dives at San Carlos beach today---Metridiums then Breakwater.

The visibility was awesome. 35 to 40+ feet at the Metridiums, 30+ at the Breakwater.

Water temp was very uniform 57F at the surface and 55F min at Metridiums. I never saw anything but 57F at the Breakwater.

It was sunny. The water surface was glassy for the first dive and a bit choppy later. We saw a pod of dolphins when we arrived and again while kicking back from the second dive.

There were lots of dead and dying Mola mola's in the water :( and the usual assortment of rockfish, lingcod and sea lions. We got buzzed by a cormorant too.

First dive: Metridiums, vis 35-40+, max depth 54 feet, bottom time 57 minutes. Followed the pipe on the surface 'til it became a little hard to see (mostly 'cause of kelp) and dropped in 38 feet of water. Continued along the pipe to the end, hung a 45 degree left to the Metridiums & tooled around for a bit checking out the fish and molas. Had one sea lion pass. Returned to the pipe and followed it back to about 18 feet of water and surfaced.

Second dive: Breakwater, vis 30+ feet, max depth 44 feet, bottom time 74 minutes. Surface swam to the 9, more or less followed the 40 foot contour to near the end, got buzzed by sea lions, returned along a 25 to 30 foot contour and surfaced at the 7. Lots of fish, a couple of lingcod, multiple sea lion passes, cormorant...awesome!

What was the temp. in the parking lot? It was really cold here.

When I picked up my buddy in San Jose it was 31F. It was 39F when we arrived, but warmed up nicely by the end of the first dive, as griffon said. Wonderful day.

Went to S. Monastery today at peak high tide. Top side was mid 60's, with light and variable winds. Swell was very minor, though across to butterfly house, I could see sets of some decent size waves rolling through.
Vis at 60fsw was, well, 60ft. I could see the surface clearly, with tons of fish in the water column among the kelp. Beautiful nudis and huge lings, etc. Temp was 57 the whole dive. Great day of diving!

Back
Top Bottom