West Palm Beach 11/27/15 to 12/6/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Left home 7:30 am Turkey Day for the long road trip to Florida. Surprisingly there was little traffic and we arrived just under 11 hours later in WPB. Got settled in the rental and packed our gear in hopes that the boat would be able to make the planned 10 am dive.

This morning things were looking preffy iffy with winds at about 20 mph and seas expected in the 6 to 8 foot range with occassional 10. Thought about BHB instead but decided to stick with the dive boat plan. Arrived at the marina to find the Narcosis crew getting the boat ready and two other divers so the trip was a go.

Turns out the marine forecast got it right but it was a sunny day with great conditions under the waves. First dive was South Doubles and it was wonderful. Lots of fish, several turtles and 2 nurse sharks beside all the other usual suspects. Moderate north current with mild surge with viz estimated at 80 feet. Temp 81 top and 78 at depth.

Second dive was Hammerhead and more turtles and nurse sharks. Still a mild north current with surge. Temp 82 to 79. Total lobster catch for the day was 4 spiny and one slipper (with a little help from the guide - thanks Finch). First time eating a slipper lobster and it was very good.

Can't wait for tomorrow. Hoping for better seas.

Really odd day on the water today. Two more boat dives with Narcosis, South Doubles again then Nuns. Current was very light. Mostly just surge. First dive we started out heading north but then the current seemed more south. Surface current was definitely south. Viz was down to about 60 feet. Very different dive today on the reef. Not as much life. Decided to end the dive early to save bottom time for the second dive. Seas 4 to 6 with occassional 8.

On Nun's we decided to head south. A little better but not by much. Reminded my how much I like drift dives!

No sharks, 2 turtles and brought home two more lobster.

Enjoy the diving and weather! It's cold and rainy here, so I am living vicariously though everyone else's diving.
Hi Randy! You should come on down. The hunters have been doing really well. With the surface conditions I've been diving light and going with the reef crowd and just grabbing a lobster here on there. I'm no good with a spear gun anyway. But the hunters have been doing really well with their drops. Bags of nice size lobsters and one regular shot a 33 pound black grouper. I think every body at the marina got to see that fish!

Yesterday the seas were down to 3 to 5 and no current. We did Governers and a site they just called Drift Dive. Ha! Swimming hole would have been more accurrate. Ugh! Bring back the current! Saw a Nautilas in action yesterday. One of the hunters was well away from the group. Searched a bit the suddenly the captain took off straight east and went right to him. Got to give one of those serious consideration.

This morning I am rigging two "new" 72's for a sidemount session at the bridge.

Excellent trip so far, it sounds! I am moving my business and residence, so not much fun for me. I am now 3 houses from beach and LOVIN this new location. I plan on a trip down this winter sometime to get wet in NF and get out of the crap winter weather for a long weekend in Jan or Feb.

Have fun and dive safe!

Ten more days until I'll be diving down there. I only have one day to dive so, here's hoping the weather and seas cooperate. Sounds like you're having a great trip! I love diving WPB area.

So how did the 72's work out for you Lisa?

BHB is an amazing place and a great place to try new gear out. I dove my LP50s there the first time and fell in love with them for that type of diving. 72's are a great tank!

What kind of max. & average depths are you hitting on your dives?

Richard.

Ten more days until I'll be diving down there. I only have one day to dive so, here's hoping the weather and seas cooperate. Sounds like you're having a great trip! I love diving WPB area.
Who are you diving with? If you don't mind "sporty seas" some boats are more likely to go out then others.

So how did the 72's work out for you Lisa?

BHB is an amazing place and a great place to try new gear out. I dove my LP50s there the first time and fell in love with them for that type of diving. 72's are a great tank!
Living and working three houses from the beach?! Life is really hard sometimes. I feel for ya. :rofl3:

The weight of the 72's was wonderful. No problems carrying them to the water and hooking in. Much different then the 100's that I struggle with but I doubt the 72's will give me enough gas for class even with cave fills. The ends did want to ride a little high even filled. I am sure rig adjustment could compensate for that.

What kind of max. & average depths are you hitting on your dives?

Richard.
Hi Richard. Just checked my logs. Because of the marine conditions up until today the captain has been staying closer to the inlet and today went north so dives have been in the 70 to 100 foot range with most of it 80 to 90.

Had a boat load of hunters today. I actually took my gun with plans to give it a shot :D but with that big a crowd I decided to head to the reefs again. Pretty much had it all to myself. Got my limit of lobster so no complaints and back on the boat the hunters most all had catches of fish and/or lobster with 2 big groupers among the haul.

Tomorrow is another day on the water. Ain't life grand!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom