Pompano Beach/LBTS - What's with the weather lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trigger-F

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone diving down there lately? Seems constant N/NE winds, which are basically the worse for shore diving. Also, for us that don't live close to South FL, is there a better site to check than Swellinfo.com? For example, for Sat, Swellinfo.com shows NE 12mph winds - 4.8 ft @ 8sec at 12pm, then at 3pm 25mph winds but only 2.1ft waves(same wind direction)(??).

I do check Weather Underground and NOAA as well, but they all show slightly different info.

No one's shore diving now unless they are hard core maniacs. It has been very windy for almost two weeks straight, out of the east and northeast. By the way, even a 3 foot swell can make shore diving difficult to miserable due to the break, and because that is enough to stir up the bottom and ruin vis. Even when things calm down, it takes probably 3 days of flat calm for the silt to settle out and the vis to be good enough for an enjoyable dive. That is why shore diving from November through May is a very iffy proposition, with few suitable intervals, and you have to be be ready to go once the calm spell hits.

My best suggestion, google fort lauderdale beach cams, and palm beach county beach cams. Each search will take you to a site with links to multiple beach cams. They are by far the best indicators for shore diving. If you see much of a chop, or whitecaps, or distinct breaking waves with foam, forgeddaboutit!

You are close enough to take advantage of a calm spell, but you will need to be patient.

It's been too rough to go for the past couple weeks. I've been wanting to go for the past 3 weekends now and haven't been able to. Been doing Blue heron bridge instead. :wink: A good general rule of thumb is whenever the winds are 15ish or greater, the beach swell usually picks up, good for surfing! Not that good for diving. The local surf shop surf reports are way better than swellinfo. magicseaweed.com is better than swellinfo, but not as good as reports from local surf shops.

edit: woops, nevermind what I said about swellinfo.com. I was thinking of surfline.com, that the one that sucks, ha! Swellinfo and magicseaweed are both pretty good.

The underwater cam at deerfield beach pier is another good indicator. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/516787-underwater-cam-deerfield-pier.html

Last edited:
check out windfinder.com too.

Yup, this weather sucks. Isn't it supposed to be the dry season?!

Anyone diving down there lately? Seems constant N/NE winds, which are basically the worse for shore diving. Also, for us that don't live close to South FL, is there a better site to check than Swellinfo.com? For example, for Sat, Swellinfo.com shows NE 12mph winds - 4.8 ft @ 8sec at 12pm, then at 3pm 25mph winds but only 2.1ft waves(same wind direction)(??).

I do check Weather Underground and NOAA as well, but they all show slightly different info.

I use windfinder.com which the kiteborders use.

Also go to windjammer resort web and they have a beach cam at Datura in LBTS.

Diving off shore next weekend in Pompano and hope the weather cooperates

The long range looks great for next weekend.
It looks like a strong West wind will be coming in this coming Friday according to the long range marine forecast.
But.....
A lot can happen.

Chug
still not diving.

The long range looks great for next weekend.
It looks like a strong West wind will be coming in this coming Friday according to the long range marine forecast.
But.....
A lot can happen.
]

Hope so... We plan on a few wrecks next weekend and would be devastating if we couldn't get out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom