recommendations for first shore dive - Florida east coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning to do my first shore dive with a couple of buddies in the same situation. We each have done about 20 dives. We'll be on the east coast of Florida. My research indicates that Lauderdale by the sea might be a good place to start, but am looking for recommendations for a site with relatively easy entry/exit along the coast with at least some minimally interesting things to see. Thanks.

Why "minimally interesting"? Try Phil Foster Park in WPB - it's way beyond minimal in the interesting department but not oceanside. Look for the Blue Heron Bridge thread here. For Oceanside walk ins there's lots to see anywhere south of Jupiter but I haven't done those so others can comment.

I second BHB. I also suggest getting a guide to show you around. Scuba_Jenny on this site does BHB tours, and I think you can get hooked up with a guide at Force-E as well.

another is gold coast scuba...in LBTS and they have a meet up group....when will you be in town? keep an eye on the water and weather conditions....BHB is good but keep an eye on tide times.

Blue Heron Bridge is full of fascinating little creatures you would be hard pressed to find out in the open ocean. It's protected from the sea, in some parts you may have snorkelers around, and your average depth might be something like 15 feet. You could very well have a 2-hour dive there. So in some ways it's more like diving in a swimming pool than the ocean. If the goal is to see interesting things, I wholeheartedly recommend it. (And as others have recommended, hire a guide who can spot all these well camouflaged animals.) If your goal is to learn/practice shore diving, maybe do a first dive at BHB as an introduction to the concept, and then head down to Lauderdale By The Sea, as you mentioned. LBTS is the ocean--what I'd call a "real" shore dive. Walk onto the beach, past the sunbathers, and wade into the surf. As it's the ocean, it will get deeper the farther you go out. It will take a bit more concentration, and you need to be sharp. There isn't as much to see--neither loads of animals nor a healthy coral reef--but it can be a great learning experience.

BHB is "THE" shore dive in Florida. It's tide limited so usually there's about a 1 hour window per day for diving.

LBTS is not as scenic, but you can dive it all day long. I've done both, and like both. I think BHB is the better dive though.

Tips from a long time shore diver:
1. Have a lost buddy plan.
2. Navigation begins before you get wet. Know the bearing that will get you back to the shore.
3. Enter and exit with your mask on and reg in your mouth (especially if there's surf).

Good luck, have fun. Wish I could join you.

Nays

Lauderdale by the Sea is great. Park at Hibiscus Rd. just south of the Commercial Blvd. pier. Blue Heron Bridge is a good dive if you don't mind diving with 100 of your closest friends. It tends to get very crowded there and I've been burned on it for that reason.

The ease of entry/exit all depends on the surf and weather conditions. Every beach in SoFL is pretty much the same, just a gently sloping sand bottom. :yeahbaby:

Datura Ave is well known. Reef is like 40 feet from the shore. 16 feet max, easy diving, bring a flag, though.

However, I'd recommend going off a boat. Much more interesting. My fav. wreck is Tracey. Look it up on youtube videos.

Back
Top Bottom