Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What knotical said...except for Sea Hunt...just a tad before my time.

I've always been a fish. I love the weightless freedom. I enjoy the "alienness" of the underwater environment from the majestic walls to the nudibranchs. I enjoy tinkering with the gear (it feeds the techie in me). Most of all (by a WIDE margin), it is something my wife & I enjoy together. We plan our vacations around it, visit interesting places and meet interesting people.

Better than working. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. To collect shells (as if many posters don't know this).
2. Moved to Nova Scotia from Manitoba 10 years ago.
3. Salt water = way better shells.
4. The warmer the salt water the better the shells (with some exceptions).
5. After getting DM it gave me a new purpose, as a former school teacher. And a reason to keep things as sharp as possible.
6. It's a routine. My wife says I have many routines.
7. It's something to do in retirement. I also go back to N. Manitoba for 2 weeks to the cabin and chop wood.
8. I occasionally find a meal or two in the form of poke spearing flounders or collecting scallops.
9. Though irrelevant to my list, I concur with Skeptic14 in that 33 is about when you can't play hoops the same way (maybe 32).
10.To collect shells.

I dive because I hate money and I like to get rid of it as soon as it comes my way.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I surface so much happier than when I start the dive :cool2:.
Beautiful, relaxing shallow reef to more challenging cave or tech dives - I'm happiest underwater :).

The best description of why you should try diving I ever heard was that going to the beach is like going to to a great museum and then sitting on the front steps.

I started to dive because of the Undersea World of JYC. I was in love with the idea of being an explorer and the mini-subs were about as cool as anything could be. I scraped together my lawn cutting money and what not to get certified when I was 16. I had grown up sailing on Long Island Sound, so diving was sort of an extension of that. My brother had taken up boat building so it didn't seem outrageous to be doing what no one I knew doing. When I started I hated the claustrophobia of poor visibility (which by some weird logic means I should do it to get over it?). It was also just a couple of years after Jaws came out, so that meant something else to get over.

I love the idea that I have no clue what is going to be around the next rock or if I might find some interesting artifacts. Every dive is an adventure with different sea life and if you have a good spot you can visit a bunch of times and not cover the same ground twice (one of the advantages of diving in the low vis North East... I guess...).

When things were getting a little stale I started using a video camera for my dives, so after every outing I try to distill the weekend down into a few minutes of meaningful narrative. That has been a lot of fun, too.

The sensation of hovering like a ghost above the bottom is another thing I love,. I am going to get my youngest daughter certified this spring so I will have the chance to share that with her also.

<snip> Now I think what motivates me is to see the things I pictured from sound, and have been amazed with being one ( ohhhhhhhm) with the environment. to see such things like sharks cuda eels turtles lobster and other sea life that with out being a diver and seeing them live in their surroundings, would keep you awake at night form fear. Granted scuba is expensive and I may be poor at the bank but richer from the experience.

That's all good and well, Chief, until something like this happens. Then what? :D

Because we are witnesses and custodians of a vanishing world that has diminished even in my time.

Because a day on the water is good for the soul.

And because the deep blue water through which we swim is both ancient and beautiful.

I'll never forget that first night in the pool ... this is the coolest thing I've ever done"
I can still remember the first breath I took underwater... and thinking the same thing! It just so happened to be at a YMCA pool as well, only in the 1960s. I learned to swim in that pool before I was in kindergarten.. and had always wanted to scuba dive. It was amazing to breather underwater.. and like you Bob, I didn't want to come up either. :D

Back
Top Bottom