Going back...but its going to be a while..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kerrycorcoran

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well the wife and I just returned from a gorgeous 10 days in Cozumel while staying at the Cozumel Palace. Spent majority of our dives with Dive with Martin and did a day with Aqua Safari as well. Never any complaints on these trips, always a blast - both below and above sea level.

We had booked this trip on the flight home last year while there at the same time off year. I'm definitely one to keep a good tradition going, so just booked our Thanksgiving 2016 Trip for another 10 day in November. That's all good, however its just so far out. May need to make a quick stop before hand.

Tell us more....the wife and are looking to go somewhere to dive this coming June. I am actually going to make a thread getting suggestions. Cozumel is a consideration. How are the dives overall, food, lodging etc? Is it safe?

I haven't heard of any mass shootings of Cozumel residents, ever. So you are probably safer than you are in your home country.

Is it safe?

In my own country I am armed...in Cozumel I won't be. :cool2:

And you don't need to be. Cozumel is probably the safest destination for tourists in the world.

Tell us more....the wife and are looking to go somewhere to dive this coming June. I am actually going to make a thread getting suggestions. Cozumel is a consideration. How are the dives overall, food, lodging etc? Is it safe?

Cozumel is my very favorite diving location. I love the drift diving, just letting the current cary you along while you see soaring coral spires, abundant sea life, sea turtles, morays, big groupers, lots of Parrot Fish, Queen and French Angels, the Splendid Toadfish (well, you do have to hunt a bit for those - they are pretty shy and hide in little holes), huge Spiny Lobsters, big crabs, even Octopusses, and the occasional shark. It has nice wall diving at Santa Rosa Wall, or at the deep end of Palancar Bricks or Palancar Caves, great coral formations, or easy shallow dives. There is a lot of variety, and many excellent Dive Operators. I also love the food, from the great high-end places like La Cocay, Kinta and Kondesa, to the wonderful little locally owned places, like Pescaderia San Carlos - a little hole-in-the wall that serves up some great fresh seafood for lunch, and El Moro, where the owner Ray greets everyone like a long lost friend, and serves up some really awesome Yucatan food. I have so many favorite restaurants on Cozumel that I can't get to them all in a one week trip. And everyone on Cozumel is genuinely warm and friendly. And Cozumel is extremely safe. It's an island that relies on tourists, so it doesn't put up with criminals. Sure, there is property crime - if you leave your expensive camera or your purse in the back seat of your rental jeep while exploring the blow holes on the east side, they are likely to be stolen. So just exercise some care and don't be stupid. Cozumel is a very affordable location, with a lot of choices for lodging. There are several AI Resorts on the South end of the Island, a ways out of town, but since I don't do AI on Cozumel (see my raving about the restaurants), I really don't know them. You can stay in a nice Hotel in Downtown, Casa Mexicana, for about $65 a night, including a breakfast buffet, or you can find very acceptable lodging downtown for less. South of town, but still a short Taxi ride, by the International Pier where the Cruise Ships come in, the Superior Rooms at Casa Del Mar will set you back about $90 a night, again including breakfast. There are a lot of other choices as well. Come to Cozumel, you'll love it.

You can't go wrong with Cozumel. The wife and I return on a regular basis and hoping to get in some additional Cozumel time too. If you haven't dove Coz yet and you're looking for something that has INCREDIBLE diving, safe, clean and affordable - COZUMEL is the answer. The wife and I have priced out several other Caribbean locations, but not really finding anything that hits on all aspects mentioned above. There are other places that might have a little better diving, but the cost is prohibitive, etc.

Trust me, if you do a research on the board you'll find all the input you could possible need for Cozumel. And, if you have questions beyond that, DO NOT hesitate to ask as there as several experts that know the island inside and out.

Kerry

We have been to Cozumel many times and I have always felt safe. Love this place! Good food, easy and great diving, so easy to get to from the US.
Check it out. You will have a great time!

Wife has been researching Cozumel all day....it is definitely towards the top of our list thanks to you guys. Appreciate all the feedback.

go once.....you will be back. The diving, food, people, cost, food, laid back feeling of the island, oh...and the food are all incredible. I've never felt unsafe .....it is NOT the mainland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom