customs question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are absolutely right, and I couldn't agree more enthusiastically.

Most of us have stories. The last time I got hit, it was from an Amazon.com purchase.

My whole thing is lumping credit/debit card issues into one catch-all alarmist pot. I know a bunch of people on the mainland who've lived there from 6 to 20+ years, and who do all of their banking via ATM. Want to guess how many times a card of theirs has been compromised? Never, not once.

Has it ever happened? Of course it has. That being said, the boss and I have been wandering around in the late evening/night, and have come upon people who have been positively cross-eyed drunk, using a Cashola machine. The subsequent weeping and wailing when their card is compromised is a spectacle to behold.
After my last incident I opened a 'seperate' bank account for travel and prefund it with limited amounts as needed, this way my main checking and savings are firewalled. It was probably not required but I assume there is a point when Visa would become less understanding after repeated visits to the well.

Some other things to consider:

There's a very brisk business selling files containing credit card information on hundreds or thousands of people. That data can be obtained from many sources during a transaction (hacked point of sale terminal or ATM, retailer, waiter, credit card processing service, etc). ATM & small scale point of sale data theft tends to result in a fairly prompt attempt to use the card, while wholesale theft (hacking) of retailers or processing agencies may have a much longer delay between the data from individual card being compromised and the attempt to make a fraudulent purchase from that account. In other words, just because you used your card on Tuesday and there was a fraudulent charge on Wednesday doesn't necessarily mean there's any connection between those events.

Card skimming (using devices to copy card data during the course of a normal transaction) or fake ATMs are common in many places, and something to watch for. However, the advice about checking for bluetooth signals at an ATM...um...that's pretty useless. Most skimmers don't use BT, and even if they did...how will you know which BT signal, within 30+ feet, is legitimate (ie. from someone's phone, tablet, GPS, etc) and which is from an ATM skimmer? It's not as if the bluetooth network name will read "ATM Bandito 47".

[This is an international forum, so non-US readers can skip this boring, US-specific stuff...or let us know how your consumer protection is so much better!]

If your ATM card is compromised (whether it's fraudulently used for another ATM withdrawal or used as a 'credit' card for a direct merchandise/service purchase) you are at greater risk than if it was a credit card. First of all, those fraudulent purchases/withdrawals do take real money out of your account (think bounced checks if your balance is too low). Secondly, the US federal consumer protection laws have higher liability limits on ATM compromises -- in other words, depending on the method of compromise (copied data vs. lost/stolen physical card) and when you report the problem to your bank, you may end up paying for $500 or more of some thief's spending which would not have happened with a stolen credit card.

Anecdote (because the plural of anecdote is not "data", and we've got almost no real factual data in this thread): my wife & I have had 10~15 credit/debit card compromises in our lives (the most recent last month). As far as I know, none of them have been from transactions in Mexico or anywhere else outside the US, despite extensive travel. There are plenty of ATMs (and retail stores) here that have such sketchy financial 'hygiene' that I'd never use them -- you don't need to go away for that. If you learn to be careful with your cards here, you'll probably be OK anywhere.

Oh, in my experience (see, more non-data anecdotes coming right up), the transaction costs & convenience of using an ATM on-site in some foreign country make that a much better value than exchanging money in advance. I don't know about you, but my time is much more valuable than a $2USD ATM fee (which my bank refunds anyway) and waiting on line at some bank to exchange money will take me much longer than using an ATM.

I'm looking forward to using some ATMs in CZM in a few weeks.

Yea, I would still use ATMs if Xoom wasn't a better deal and pretty much just as fast. Credit / ATM cards are a risk, but you are generally covered, so ain't YOUR risk, boy-o: Lost or Stolen Credit, ATM, and Debit Cards | Consumer Information

The Fed say you can get ripped off as often as you want.

They only concern I ever had was having more than one card if something went south on one.

One the other hand, I understand Mexican ATM cards from MX banks have very little of the same consumer protection.

After my last incident I opened a 'seperate' bank account for travel and prefund it with limited amounts as needed, this way my main checking and savings are firewalled. It was probably not required but I assume there is a point when Visa would become less understanding after repeated visits to the well.

Yep, the smartest, and least costly way of all.

OK, well. Seems my thread has gotten a bit hijacked. :)

I'm bringing receipts, and will bring enough cash to cover 16% on all if needed.

Dome port and housing for a camera I won't have with me, some electronics for a computer/router, two telephones. The raincoat, dive computer, jewelry, etc., I'm not worried about. It's the first batch.

I trust that all will be fine.

Appreciate the quick feedback.

BTW, for the money part of this thread .... I always ensure I have about $100 worth of pesos when I leave some when I return I'm good to go, even if I arrive on a Sunday.

Counting the days until I arrive....

Eileen

I bring my camera, ports, misc etc in a Pelican case and never had any issues going into Mexico (Cancun or Cozumel) with about 40 to 50 trips. I did have one US customs guy give me a hassle once for my camera equipment coming back into Dallas so I went to a Customs office lcoally with my form and serial numbers and had them sign off. I carry them with the case. I think receipts will do the same. We regulary have 2 to 3 cell phones (personal and work), tablets, wifes jewelry and all other personal items and they never check in Cozumel except the odd time you get the red light in Cozumel Customs and it's usually a cursory check. I have never paid duty in Mexico on anything but all of it was personal use items.

Well cleared custom today in Cancun with coffee shuzzer, box of cascade one use, 4 pairs of sunglasses, 2 tablet computers, 5 iphones, 2 new watches, 4 bottle of calcium pills, an iPad, and a pile of misc crap. Got the red light. Only the cascade packets generated interest and we chatted about them. no problems

Answers below in blue :)

I'm bringing receipts, and will bring enough cash to cover 16% on all if needed. Also read the customs form and it will tell you what is allowable. If it on that list, it does not meet the declaration requirement so don't declare it

Dome port and housing for a camera I won't have with me Not an issue - you are allowed to bring in a full set (or two) of camera equipment, not even necessary to declare

some electronics for a computer/router - I bet they are small and won't even be detected - even so, if under $500 value no need to declare because the camera equipment doesn't have to be factored into that - it's allowable camera equipment

two telephones - allowed, no need to declare

The raincoat, dive computer, jewelry, etc. - again, all stuff for personal use and not required to be declared.

I trust that all will be fine.

Appreciate the quick feedback.

BTW, for the money part of this thread .... I always ensure I have about $100 worth of pesos when I leave some when I return I'm good to go, even if I arrive on a Sunday.

Counting the days until I arrive....

Eileen

OK, well. Seems my thread has gotten a bit hijacked. :)
Well, as you probably know, once you start a thread it takes on a life of its own and is no longer "yours". :D

As to the money issue, it's all in what kind of risk you are more comfortable with. In my case I am more concerned about carrying around thousands of dollars in cash while traveling than I am about having my ATM card hacked and the losses thus incurred being unretrievable. I take precautions; I let my credit union know when I am traveling and to where, and I always use the same ATM on Cozumel - the bank owned one in the municipal building across the street from where Prima used to be.

DSFDF and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom