So what's with the new way of rinsing regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I always used to soak my regs overnight in fresh water at home after a dive, as well as leaving them in fresh water while showing at the dive shop. Now apparently this is totally wrong. Now there is a piece of wood over the reg rinse spot at the dive shop. First stage must now get rinsed only, no immersion at all. It hangs on the wood and the second stage and octopus get immersed. The reason is that the dust cover may let in water. Seemed that the full rinse worked fine for at least since I have been diving. Has there been a revelation???[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji31] [emoji15] [emoji33]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Always soaked overnight. Never had a problem. Usually soak every piece of equipment overnight, including bcd which I fill with fresh water.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I don't trust the 1st stage cap enough to be comfortable with soaking my 1st stage for an extended period of time. So I prefer a short soak and a rinse.

Reactions: Jax
all you need is s dunk or a quick spray rinse to get the salt and sand out. most itme fresh water it is not needed but I do it any way. for salt water I rinse before it dries and leaves residue behind. If I have the means I rince them while on the tank.

Opinion seems to be all over the place on this. Maybe those who've serviced a lot of 1st stages that have been soaked can comment, but I always soak unpressurized for at least a few minutes, and the couple of times I've broken down my 1st stage - 175 or so dives each time - I haven't seen much sign of water ingress past the filter.

If your dive lasts an hour, wouldn't you expect there are "compartments" the water gets into that require more than a rinse or quick soak to exchange fresh water into?

What is the purpose of soaking a sealed diaphragm first stage?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom