Asian dive destinations for January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OtherHalf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I are looking at taking another dive trip in January. We've already been to Thailand and the Philippines and want to try somewhere new. Seemed like most of Indonesia is closed that part of the year. We are living in Korea so we are looking at southeast Asia. Thought about Guam or Palau but it seems like aside from diving there isn't much else going on there. We like to immerse ourselves and not just sit on the beach after the dive day is done.

Anyone have any suggestions for destinations?

I'm following this for January and hoping to get answers that will also apply to February.

Other Half, I dive Maldives that time of year. Might not be the ultimate time but it's still good.

Raja Ampat is wonderful at that time of year. The rest of Indonesia is technically still going through the monsoon season....but plenty of people on this board have been to Lembeh in particular then. Apparently the south of Komodo is good, Scuba Junkies have opened a new place where diving is available all year. You could easily combine a week in Pulau with a week in the Philippines. Another option is Pulau Weh in Sumatra , it's weather pattern is the same as the West Coast of Thailand. Yet another option is Myanmar f.k.a. Burma.

I hope this helps a bit !

Yonaguni, Japan for schooling hammerhead sharks and the underwater pyrimids of Japan, Okinawa for humpback whales also in Jan.

Yonaguni, Japan for schooling hammerhead sharks and the underwater pyrimids of Japan, Okinawa for humpback whales also in Jan.

Yonaguni looks really promising! Thats the kind of cool location we were looking for.

Raja Ampat has been high on my listfor a long time, but the flight time, and price, are really high. Army doesn't pay me that well...

What's the water temperature in Yonaguni?

Raja Ampat has been high on my listfor a long time, but the flight time, and price, are really high. Army doesn't pay me that well...

There are cheaper homestay options in the Kri area of Raja Ampat, and Bali has some great diving and is quite an affordable location. You can probably fly direct to Bali from Korea and then there is no other need for flights within Indonesia.

Water temp in Yonaguni in Jan will be mid20's C and in mainland Okinawa a bit cooler around 20-22C. Easy hop from Korea, cheap accommodations both on and off base here in Okinawa. Yonaguni is a bit more remote though but small family run places are easily found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom