Underwater video lights showing signs of electrolytic corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently acquired two new video lights that I used during a dive trip. During the trip, I noticed that the lights began showing signs of electrolytic corrosion. I was wondering what would cause this to happen. I assume some kind of flaw with the light itself.

No steel that I'm aware of. I'm just using it with my camera rig. Also, I have an i-Torch light that's not showing any signs of corrosion. I thought I had read in the past people experiencing this with some of the cheap 18650 powered dive lights.

If the battery and head unit are at different potentials (voltages) you'll get conduction & electrolytic corrosion via the sea water. A zinc anode may help.

This may be way off...but you might try reversing the polarity of your battery. If the controller is designed with a rectifier it shouldn't care and this might reduce the potential between the head and body. Or burn the whole thing up. :D

If you have one, a volt meter might show the potential difference between the head and body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom