Thoughts for a first-time dive trip to Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theblitz1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was hoping to get some advice from experienced divers in Mexico. And thank you in advance for the advice! My wife wants to see whale sharks, so we were planning a trip to Baja. I'm a little unclear if we'd just be better off going to La Paz and staying there, or if there are any particular reasons one would dive around Cabo and take the trips to La Paz for sea lions and the whale sharks. I'd really prefer to stay in just one hotel because I'm lazy that way, but we do have a whole week to play with. My wife enjoys macro photography, and I read something about restrictions in the marine preserve about how close one can get to the reef. Could I ask a few people to recommend a good experience for someone new to diving in the area? What should we know?
Our frames of reference, as in, the experiences we are used to, are pretty much the Big Island in Hawaii and the Florida Keys.
Thank you!!

The better diving seems to be around La Paz, diving La Paz and Cabo would involve about a 2 hour drive between them.

If you're going to travel anywhere from La Paz to dive, go to Cabo Pulmo. The marine life is awesome in the preserve. On two dives we saw green morays, massive schools of jacks and tuna, big groupers and bull sharks. They're like any other protected marine area in that they want you to be cautious of the reef but you should be able to shoot photos. Check with Pilu at Cabo Pulmo Diving, I'm sure she can give you more guidance. She was very fast to respond to emails while we were down there and was a lot of fun to dive with.

I've never been to Cabo Pulmo, but that is where the dive restrictions are -- so forget about any macro photography. I say just stay in La Paz. Its a really great town and the diving is good. I was there a few years ago and we're going back next week. I've been reading about lots of whale shark sightings.
Cabo is a pretty awful place full of time shares, cruise ship people and vomiting drunks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom