Attempt for record for the longest open-water saltwater scuba dive (St. Thomas)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is he going to just sit there for 3 days? Hopefully he has support divers, I would probably doze off after the first day has passed :D

Weird that drysuits have such a high failure rate. Unless there was damage before having them underwater for an extended amount of time shouldnt lead to failure?

Didn't our former SB member SeaJay try this once?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Meh ... even if he succeeds he will have nothing, zip, made on Harrison Okene.

[video=youtube;3BOnNL7m_2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOnNL7m_2c[/video]

Seems pretty harmless. He isn't trying anything super stupid. I would imagine leaks that are very small and go unnoticed when total dive time is 3-4 hours become much more noticeable after 35 hrs. I guess a FFM and a support diver would help with dozing off. Good luck to them.

At what depth is the dive? And for how long?

I'm guessing 33 feet or less - so that he can immediately surface without getting bent if things run amok. I doubt he has a chamber available for this stunt.

There was world record set at Spring Lake, 72 degrees. The team, and it was a big team, rigged up a hot water heater to keep him warm.

San Marcos police officer and rescue-recovery diver Daniel Misiaszek <ref>http://fp1.centurytel.net/diverdan/images/Danretiredsmall.jpg</ref> founded the San Marcos Area Recovery Team (SMART) [2] in 1988 and set a World Record for the longest scuba dive in open water of 60 hours and 24 minutes on September 3, 2001. Misiaszek authored "Hardened Hearts" detailing 30 years of public safety service.

As I recall, Dan had to surface very slowly to avoid a chamber ride.

There was world record set at Spring Lake, 72 degrees. The team, and it was a big team, rigged up a hot water heater to keep him warm.

San Marcos police officer and rescue-recovery diver Daniel Misiaszek <ref>http://fp1.centurytel.net/diverdan/images/Danretiredsmall.jpg</ref> founded the San Marcos Area Recovery Team (SMART) [2] in 1988 and set a World Record for the longest scuba dive in open water of 60 hours and 24 minutes on September 3, 2001. Misiaszek authored "Hardened Hearts" detailing 30 years of public safety service.

As I recall, Dan had to surface very slowly to avoid a chamber ride.

I had a hard time finding many saturation dive tables. Looking at the US Navy Dive Manual Rev. 6 - it appears from table Table 15&#8209;8. (Unlimited Duration Upward Excursion Limits) that the diver could stay at 29 feet or less - and then make an unlimited excursion back to the surface. A maximum ascent rate of 60 fsw / min is specified for the excursion.

With that said - I don't have any training as a saturation diver. I'd be interested in hearing from those that do.

Back
Top Bottom