Ft Lauderdale dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had an op cancel at the last minute due to not having enough divers. If I were paying full price,with a limited number of days to dive on the trip, and an op cancelled at the last minute.....I would not be happy at all. IMO that would be a very poor business practice. Now if they were able to get me on another boat that day, that would greatly mitigate the damage.

You are very lucky. I used to go to South Florida for one week vacations each year, and having dives canceled like that was always infuriating, because that might be 20-40% of my planned diving for that vacation. I did one week vacations for about 10 years, then I retired and spent at least a month for about 5 years. My guess is that over that time, I have had 20-25 dives canceled at the last minute because they did not have enough divers. It does not happen as much any more because I have gotten a feel for a dive that is a potential cancellation, and I don't schedule on those days in the first place.

I never had a cancellation issue with any dive op in Jupiter or west Palm. If the dive ops down here can't be loyal to the customers who support them then it's understandable why divers book 3 and cancel 2 at the last minute. The loyalty has to start with the charters and if they are going to be cancelling on divers who support them then the cycle will never end.

Good info here. Will use in ovtober

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cancellations are often very disappointing but need to be taken in stride. Sometimes sea conditions are just unsafe, precluding diving. I use operators using two different inlets, along with boat size, this often makes a difference and allows me to get out. I don't expect an operator to go out with just me, but some have and I have been grateful. What I do expect is to be notified in enough time that I can scramble for another ride. I do most of my diving in Boynton Beach and have a good relationship with 3 operators. I also frequently dive with an operator in Jupiter. They have all learned over the years that I am a reliable diver and will always show up to dive when I am scheduled and will never cancel for fickle reasons. In return, they do their best to get me out to dive. Due to the standing relationship, I can contact any of them by text/email/phone, and get on any trip they're running that has space, even at the last moment. I've been diving in BB/Jupiter for about 6 years now and greatly appreciate the operators I use. I very rarely miss a day of diving unless the conditions are simply unsafe. I realize how difficult it is for casual visitors to an area who are hoping to get in a lot of diving, I was once in that situation. At the same time, they need to realize that SE FL is not the Caribbean and that conditions are more variable, as are the number of customers.

For what it's worth, I use Underwater Explorers, Starfish Dive Charters, and Loggerhead Dive Charters out of Boynton Harbor Marina and Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter. I'd be glad to help anyone out by PM if I can.

Good diving, Craig

I'll be in Deerfield Beach/Pompano area Jan 1-5, hoping to get out on a boat on Jan 1st. I'm pretty nervous that we might get cancelled, but I guess we'll see what happens!

to far in advance to guess ocean condition now for the end of the year.....winter down here is hit or miss with mother ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom