Getting a great deal on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The reason I have started this post was, I have been PM another SB member about my gear choices and about costs v benefits and I said I would open a new thread about my deal and see how others got their good deals.

My story, I dive sidemount not what I had intended to dive when I out grew my old gear. I got the gear at almost cost with the option of of swapping it for other gear if I did not like it at the same discounted rate.

I got the deal by investing the time to build a relationship with my LDS. I did this by buying a tank and having it filled off peak times when I knew the shop owner was in.
We would then have a chat. When it was time to move on from my old gear I sat down with him and told him what I wanted to do and the gear I was looking at. The suggestion was sidemount might be the way to go and a deal was made.

How do others get the deals we read about from time to time on SB?

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the deal by investing the time to build a relationship with my LDS.
I will echo this one. I did the same thing (albeit not by having my cylinder filled at off hours, necessarily). I worked to build a relationship with the LDS, specifically with the owner - took several classes from him personally, ultimately stated working for him. My investment in the relationship took time, but was ultimately directly and indirectly beneficial. Not only did I get good deals (I seldom call deals 'great') simply in terms of price, I got access to opportunities - for gear, training, and travel - that would not otherwise have been available to me.

Notably, that situation ended when the shop owner died suddenly 18 months ago, and the shop subsequently closed. However, by investing in a relationship with a new / different shop, a similar situation has evolved with that LDS, so I feel that I have a little more of a database to suggest that the 'investment' approach works.

I don't buy new gear. Built in price reduction right there. I also have been incredibly fortunate in timing a few of my craigslist searches. I got a DUI TLS350 dry suit, with pee valve, pockets, knee and elbow patches, and new seals for either $200 or $250. Fits great, no leaks. I've bought tanks for $10 each. I've gotten bulk buys with multiple regs, fins, masks, weights, and other assorted gear for $40.

I agree, if you're going to buy new, the way to do it is to develop relationships with dealers in one capacity or another, whether that's local, or repeat business to one of the online dealers. I suspect local will actually net you more "discounts" but overall pricing will be fairly similar. But, going local also will sometimes get you cheaper (or even free) travel with the LDS if you're an active customer they know by name, especially if you travel with them a lot. That's a big bonus.

I am fortunate enough to have a job where I can afford to buy gear that I need and the gear I want. I am not so well of that I can just throw the money away and will look for a deal or a discount when possible. I have cultivated a relationship at my LDS since I was a student there taking OW class. They will generally offer me a discount on most of my purchases even on the brand name gear not on sale. Their base price is very close to internet prices and I get the opportunity to see and try on the gear before I buy. I won't shy away from gear just because it's expensive, but will look for a price and a discount. And customer service is outstanding. If I have a problem they have always taken the gear back as long as it's new and in the original packaging or a few time they have offered my a significant discount on a replacement item if they have been unable to take the item back on a return. That being said loyalty goes both ways, I always try to give them first shot at my business and they appreciate that opportunity.

I've bought new and used stuff from my LDS at decent prices (before and after eligible for the DM discount) for 10 years. Service is good, whether I bought it there or not. Got some stuff at cost, as the owner is loyal to long term customers, particularly staff. I'm lucky there, as the shop is pretty much the only game in town and for a long way out. I had one of my split fins SPLIT (shortly after I won them at the shop's Treasure Hunt) and it was replaced immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom