Dive lights, carry on or checked bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This summer I went to coz. ON the return to the US, they confiscated my energizer disposable lithium batts that were in a carry on. They left my 18650 lithium rechargeables (I had about 10). They said the 18650's were fine because they were in a case (they were in a small pelican case with a transparent lid). They told me if the energizers had been in something it would have been fine, but since they were new in the package they wanted to resell them at the mega.

Okay, I made that last sentence up. They did tell me if the energizers had been in something such as a light they would have been fine.

It is not an opinion. My wife had her NiMH batteries confiscated by security when she tried to leave CZM a couple of years ago. They also wanted to keep the rather expensive containers they were in.....but we objected and they finally relented. It is entirely possible CZM has this reputation because the security guards there have a little side business going....but as a traveler it doesn't make any difference, does it? Either way your batteries disappear. See also some comments on the TSA page about traveling with batteries.

The fact that you had no problem is barely relevant. That just means it does not happen to everybody. You haven't been killed in an auto accident either; do you deny they exist? When there is evidence that some event does happen, then cases where it does not happen do not disprove the event. This is a common fallacy on the internet. One takes one's personal experience as being more compelling than they should.

If you have doubt about where you should store your batteries (or anything else for that matter) the thing to do is ask the staff before checking your bag. That's what I did and I got the standard TSA answer. It may be that the practice has changed since you had your experience two years ago.

I should add that they opened my carryon and looked at the batteries and how they were stored and put everything back without problem. It seemed to me they were checking how the batteries were packaged and that they were in plastic cases.

I know I see this opinion on Scubaboard, but when I flew out of Coz about a month ago I followed the standard TSA rules (spare batteries in carryon) and had no problem. I even asked at the Coz airport where I should put spare batteries and they told me, carryon. It's important for each battery to be properly stored and not loose in you suitcase so there is no possibility of short. I keep mine in special plastic battery boxes.

Also I put a piece of paper inside each light between the battery and light contact so the light cannot turn on by accident.

I think the obvious takeaway from this and the many other threads on the topic is that policy on batteries in the Cozumel airport is inconsistent. I take lots of alkaline batteries to Cozumel in checked baggage and I leave them all there. I give the un- and lightly-used batteries to my dive op when I leave. I have spare Li-ion batteries for my video camera that I carry in the case with the camera, and in the many years I have been shooting video there I have never been asked about them in the aiport.

YMMV, of course.

Last month while seated waiting for everyone to board at LAX we mentioned to each other how it smelled like something was smoking.

Soon, she was digging thru her personal carryon bag, and brought out our 4 pack AA NiMH charger with 3 of the 4 batteries still in it. One of the batteries was hot and the edge of the plastic charger next to it was slighty melted. The large rubber band that normally holds all 4 batteries in the charger was missing, had melted off. She dug thru her bag some more and found the missing battery which was too hot to handle. We tossed it on top of the charger, the other 3 batteries were out by now, and she took it up to a stewardess.
Wish we had recollected them when we got off the plane now so we could determine if the battery shorted or the charger.

We've been traveling with batteries for about 15 years now w/o any problems in checked and or carryon. For flashlites I always leave the batteries in but with the paper on top of the batteries so the light won't accidentally come on. For cameras we always just leave them in and we have always left the extra batteries in the charger(s).

Will seriously consider some other way to carry batteries and hope everyone else on our plane does also. Appreciate any suggestions.

Leaving the US, I've never had a problem with leaving the battery in my dive light in my checked luggage.

The last time I was checking in to leave Cayman, I was asked specifically if I had a dive light in my checked luggage and to "just take the batteries out" of the light. The batteries were placed in some dirty t-shirts in the same suitcase as the dive light and the agent was really happy. I had a similar episode retuning from Honduras a few years ago. It is just inconsistent depending on which country/airport you are in. I agree that it is a good idea to ask at airport check-in to see what the mood of the day is concerning lights/batteries.

Airports are terrible for stupid I contradictory rules I just have to switch my brain over to "retarded cow mode" and go with it otherwise I'll end up throttling some idiot on the other side of the check in counter and end up not making my flight.

Leaving the US, I've never had a problem with leaving the battery in my dive light in my checked luggage.

The last time I was checking in to leave Cayman, I was asked specifically if I had a dive light in my checked luggage and to "just take the batteries out" of the light. The batteries were placed in some dirty t-shirts in the same suitcase as the dive light and the agent was really happy. I had a similar episode retuning from Honduras a few years ago. It is just inconsistent depending on which country/airport you are in. I agree that it is a good idea to ask at airport check-in to see what the mood of the day is concerning lights/batteries.

On one of my flights the checked bag was opened and a dive light taken apart. The power unit with the LED was "lost" somehow in their search and my light was ruined. Since then I always pack my dive lights, and other critical things with electronics, in my carryon.

Lithium batteries can be a problem. I've seen several examples of fires caused by them. They should be stored in a way that won't allow them to short circuit. In carry-on is safer because in case if fire it can be dealt with. If there is a fire in the cargo hold there may be no access to it.

---------- Post added December 13th, 2015 at 08:57 AM ----------

Of course this doesn't matter if airport security says otherwise...

This summer I went to coz. ON the return to the US, they confiscated my energizer disposable lithium batts that were in a carry on. They left my 18650 lithium rechargeables (I had about 10). They said the 18650's were fine because they were in a case (they were in a small pelican case with a transparent lid). They told me if the energizers had been in something it would have been fine, but since they were new in the package they wanted to resell them at the mega.

Okay, I made that last sentence up. They did tell me if the energizers had been in something such as a light they would have been fine.

When they confiscated my Energizers they said because the packaging they were in was not original they had to take them. If they would have been in original packaging they would have been OK. Probably we need to find where they are being sold. Price is probably right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom