Dive master questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a PADI DM and in addition to what the others have said, you need yearly medical and need to stay current on your EFR Cert..

PADI does not require an annual medical, nor current EFR, to retain active status as a DM. It is a good idea, of course, but not required.
Whatever shop you might be working for (and possibly getting insurance from) might require the medical/EFR, but that is their requirement, not PADI's. Ref: 2015 Instructor Manual, p.134.

NAUI allows instructors to use professionals from other agencies as assistants. They recognize a pro is a pro. Or should be.

I also recommend to anyone thinking of DM/AI/or Instructor to get a tech cert or two as well first. Mistake I made was not doing that. Learn to really dive and what the real risks are first before going the pro route.

Thanks for your replies,

So if I understand, a dive master and an instructor are not the same. I’m looking for some detailed information on the web about this and can only find advertisement. I would like to read up on it before I go to a dive shop, any suggestions?

I’m already master scuba diver with PADI so I’m thinking of staying with them.

Not to be critical but how does a Master Diver with Padi which is Padi's highest non professional certification level get to that point with out knowing the difference between a Padi Dive master and a Padi Instructor. During the paying for and receiving the specialty certs that it took to be rated a Master diver had you not encountered a dive master and a instructor enough to understand the different roles. Again I am not trying to be critical I am just amazed that a person with your dive rating would not have a handle on that basic information

Not to be critical but how does a Master Diver with Padi which is Padi's highest non professional certification level get to that point with out knowing the difference between a Padi Dive master and a Padi Instructor. During the paying for and receiving the specialty certs that it took to be rated a Master diver had you not encountered a dive master and a instructor enough to understand the different roles. Again I am not trying to be critical I am just amazed that a person with your dive rating would not have a handle on that basic information

Thanks for your comment but I'm a Master Scuba Diver not a Dive Master. They are two different certificates.

while technically correct - (PADI does not require an annual medical, nor current EFR, to retain active status as a DM. It is a good idea, of course, but not required.) the intent behind these 2 clauses in your membership agreement can hang you out to dry in the event of an incident:
I have made myself familiar with and will abide by the applicable Standards andProcedures, as published in the PADI, DSAT and EFR Instructor Manuals, and, if applicable,the PADI Course Director Manual and EFR Instructor Trainer Manual, and willadhere to all standards changes published in the Training Bulletin and other updates,within the capacity of my current classification, when conducting any PADI-relatedProgram. I also will not deviate from the applicable standards when representing myselfas a PADI Member

7. I acknowledge that diving and dive instruction are physically strenuous activities andthat it is my personal responsibility to maintain the necessary level of fitness in order toinvolve myself in diving instructional and supervisory activities. I also acknowledge thatshould my physical condition or health change, rendering me incapable of meeting thephysical requirements of diving instruction and supervision, I will cease my instructionaland supervisory activities until I am again capable and, if necessary, cleared by a divingmedical examination performed by a licensed physician.

Thanks for your comment but I'm a Master Scuba Diver not a Dive Master. They are two different certificates.

Oh I understand the difference between a Master diver which is the highest rated non professional certification for Padi, and a Dive master who is the entry level dive professional who I would equate as a teachers aid when in a classroom setting. I was just surprised that in after taking OW, AOW, rescue and 5 specialty classes of your choosing you had not encountered an instructor and a dive master enough to understand the difference.

Oh I understand the difference between a Master diver which is the highest rated non professional certification for Padi, and a Dive master who is the entry level dive professional who I would equate as a teachers aid when in a classroom setting. I was just surprised that in after taking OW, AOW, rescue and 5 specialty classes of your choosing you had not encountered an instructor and a dive master enough to understand the difference.

Sorry to have disappointed you.

:coffee:

Maybe I should post my own thread but I have a divemaster question.

I got my DM through PADI about 5 years ago now and helped with classes most weekends for a year. But, I've taken a four year break from diving, all the while forgetting to stay current on my PADI pro dues. I see that I can renew online to the tune of $128. But, LDS told me that PADI 'takes away' (their words) instructor and divemaster ratings if inactive and not current on dues for too many years. Does anyone know if that's true? Do I still have my DM? I have a card that says divemaster on it... :D

I'm editing this to add that I'm not looking to *do* anything with my divemaster cert, I can't help with classes right now anyway. But I would hate to hit some year number and lose my DM, just to have to pay PADI yet more money when I am able to get back to helping with classes. If that makes sense.

Maybe I should post my own thread but I have a divemaster question.

I got my DM through PADI about 5 years ago now and helped with classes most weekends for a year. But, I've taken a four year break from diving, all the while forgetting to stay current on my PADI pro dues. I see that I can renew online to the tune of $128. But, LDS told me that PADI 'takes away' (their words) instructor and divemaster ratings if inactive and not current on dues for too many years. Does anyone know if that's true? Do I still have my DM? I have a card that says divemaster on it... :D

I'm editing this to add that I'm not looking to *do* anything with my divemaster cert, I can't help with classes right now anyway. But I would hate to hit some year number and lose my DM, just to have to pay PADI yet more money when I am able to get back to helping with classes. If that makes sense.
LDS may be right. If you do not stay current for a period of time you would need to retake DM course to renew. I do not how long a time out of status PADI would require this action. Would not be surprised if it's 5 years, may be 10 years. Check with PADI on that one. PADI wants pro divers to stay current with any changes to standards and procedures. A lot has changed in the past 2 years to warrent that. It's all about liabilities.

Most agencies have a similar requirement at the pro level. I could go inactive if I wanted with SEI for a year if say I wanted to learn to dive a rebreather properly. Could get back into active status easily by paying the active dues. 2 years and there are some things I'd need to do with an Instructor trainer. Each longer period (3 yrs, 4 yrs, etc.) has additional requirements. It gets to a point though that taking the entire class again (no matter what level) is just good common sense.

Last weekend I had an old school (first certed in I think he said 73 and instructor in the early 80's) PADI instructor in the pool for a refresher. He hasn't been diving in a long time but it was immediately clear that he knew his stuff. He was smart enough to realize that things change and skills get rusty. He has no intention of getting back into teaching. Just getting back into being an active diver.

Talking with him it was clear that techniques have changed. He was thrilled with the no kneeling approach and appalled to find out that most agencies no longer teach buddy breathing in the OW class. We of course did it in his refresher. He was glad that ripping students masks off from behind and shutting off their air without warning is no longer part of the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom