Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petrel 2 is a good computer, one of the best. It is good for tech and cave diving. If you don't need it yet for the dives you are doing and a good regulator set is a more pressing need, why don't you get a cheaper but capable computer like Uwatec Aladin, or Hollis DG03 for instance? For tech/deco diving you will need a backup computer. Then you can get the Petrel and Aladin/Hollis will serve as the backup.

Last edited:
I know some of you said not to. At least half of you said absolutely. I got a killer deal on my Petrel 2 today. 650 plus tax at my local shop. At that price I just couldn't pass it up. Also spoke to Edd Sorensen and he advised me to go a head and get into tech diving early so as to not build bad habits, he said hed rather teach me the right way than spend years or months doing it the wrong way. Being that he is probably one of the most respected guy out there, I trust his advise. Ill be taking his side mount and cavern course this summer. So looks like I will be putting my petrel to good use after all. Sooner rather than later.

I know some of you said not to. At least half of you said absolutely. I got a killer deal on my Petrel 2 today. 650 plus tax at my local shop. At that price I just couldn't pass it up. Also spoke to Edd Sorensen and he advised me to go a head and get into tech diving early so as to not build bad habits, he said hed rather teach me the right way than spend years or months doing it the wrong way. Being that he is probably one of the most respected guy out there, I trust his advise. Ill be taking his side mount and cavern course this summer. So looks like I will be putting my petrel to good use after all. Sooner rather than later.

Awesome man chicks love tech divers with Petrels. Good luck and have a great time starting tech training.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Awesome man chicks love tech divers with Petrels. Good luck and have a great time starting tech training.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Good since my girl dumped my sorry butt I am looking for a diver chick! NC area for all the single ladies hahaha!

It is a very cool computer. I got to mess with it for the first day but my girlfriend took it and wrapped it up.....I did figure out a good bit about gasses and nitrox and a few other cool things. I can't wait to unwrap it and look some more. Ill be ready to dive with it asap. Might have to make a trip down to florida to get in the water sooner rather than later.

The Petrel is a great computer, esp. for the money. But it is a lot of money and new divers usually have huge shopping lists of must buy and really should buy items. If you are going to do tech dives you will want a 2nd computer. Maybe now is a good time to buy the 2nd (less expensive) computer so you have the cash left for other things you need, like lots more dives, a few more classes, etc.

On the other hand I've wasted money buying something cheaper when I knew darn well what I really (REALLY) wanted. Eventually I wasn't happy until I had what I really wanted, and often I never got my money out of the cheaper substitute. You know yourself & your budget - you need to pick your best course of action.

The Petrel is a great computer, esp. for the money. But it is a lot of money and new divers usually have huge shopping lists of must buy and really should buy items. If you are going to do tech dives you will want a 2nd computer. Maybe now is a good time to buy the 2nd (less expensive) computer so you have the cash left for other things you need, like lots more dives, a few more classes, etc.

On the other hand I've wasted money buying something cheaper when I knew darn well what I really (REALLY) wanted. Eventually I wasn't happy until I had what I really wanted, and often I never got my money out of the cheaper substitute. You know yourself & your budget - you need to pick your best course of action.
What you said about knowing what I really want is pretty spot on. The only thing I have left to purchase is a regulator set. It really isn't a big deal for me to have that right now due to the season. I won't be diving much for the next few months. If I do I will be going to Florida in which case it's not a problem to rent a regulator. I figured I could spend the next few months learning about my computer and getting familiar with it. I have used several regulators... I already know how to breathe. I will get a reg set here in a month or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom