First vacation to Cozumel, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, if I am staying on Cozumel in February, the weather is not terribly hot, so a hotel without a pool is not a problem for me. So Casa Mexicana, which has just a small kiddie pool, or Suites Bahia, or Colonial, are all fine choices. In June, however, it gets hot and muggy. For ME! That means a pool is a must -I get hot and sweaty and I want cold water to jump into - for a cheap Downtown hotel with a pool, check out Hotel Plaza Cozumel, right on the Plaza, with a roof-top pool, or La Casona Real, about 3 blocks back of the Plaza. Both less than $50 US a night, both convenient for walking to downtown Dive Ops and lots of very reasonably priced dining options.

Its for each of us, i.e. $2000 each, $4000 in total. Budgeting for around $600 for airfare, $600-800 for accommodations, $600 for diving, and then +/- whatever is needed for food/transportation/trinkets for each of us. I work a little more than her so willing to pick up any slack.

Thanks for the suggestion kelemvor, that looks like a great option for what we had in mind.
It looks like you can get Vancouver to Cozumel in May air cheap enough. I didn't get February since that's high season plus winter travel, north fronts/nortes in Coz, etc - not what I'd recommend; June might work but you'll be competing with families somewhat more. Flights start at $542CA if you're flexible enough - plus luggage fees, taxis, airport meals, et. You can get nice hotels for a lot less, I've paid $30US/night ($41CA) for what I thought was a nice room at Colonial, with full breakfasts, and there are many other low cost choices. Diving like you want would cost more tho.

Packages can be found, but they're deceptive. They make it easier to buy, but may not save - may even cost more, and not flexible. Do your math while shopping and don't be surprised if you can do better buying separately. Most people who are happy with packages never compared.

Hotel Cozumel is ok, I don't mind AI, but you can do better. I would not dive with their house op and slow boats, but search and read on Dive Paradise to get other opinions.

One of the things I like about Tres Pelicans (among many) is that they will provide free transportation from downtown to the marina and back. A short walk to Casa Mexican for breakfast, then a short walk to their office - and cab fares can add up quickly on Coz. Good luck on timing as breakfast was starting a little late last trip, but I never went hungry.

FWIW, if I am staying on Cozumel in February, the weather is not terribly hot, so a hotel without a pool is not a problem for me. So Casa Mexicana, which has just a small kiddie pool, or Suites Bahia, or Colonial, are all fine choices. In June, however, it gets hot and muggy. For ME! That means a pool is a must -I get hot and sweaty and I want cold water to jump into - for a cheap Downtown hotel with a pool, check out Hotel Plaza Cozumel, right on the Plaza, with a roof-top pool, or La Casona Real, about 3 blocks back of the Plaza. Both less than $50 US a night, both convenient for walking to downtown Dive Ops and lots of very reasonably priced dining options.
Huh? You live in some of the hottest & muggiest terrain in Texas. I go to Coz in the summer to cool off, and it's a lot hotter in Dallas than Lubbock. Your hotel ideas are good tho..

Hell, yeah I live in hot weather in Dallas. Which is why I have a swimming pool (with a 12' deep end, and two fountains running for evaporative cooling) about 6 steps out my back door! But Dallas, though hot as hell, isn't nearly as muggy as Cozumel in the summer.

I'm sure our new Canadian friend here will find Coz hot in May or June, but there are various ways to adapt. He does want to go the tropics.

Actually it's the humidity that gets us. The air temp isn't that different than ours in the summer thanks to being surrounded by water.

Check out Blue Angel on Cozumel. Great reputation and strong SB following. Took a group of 22 folks last year and we loved it. Going back next year. I just checked prices and in the May/June timeframe, you could go for $805 (US dollars) each and that would include an ocean front room, breakfast each day, taxes, 5 days of 2-tank diving, and unlimited shore dives which is a pretty good shore dive for Coz. The food at their restaurant is good and reasonably priced. We generally ate lunch there and had a few dinners there as well as going into town for dinner.

You can't go wrong with Blue Angel.

Just for comparison purposes, a 5-day 2-tank dive package with Dive with Martin is $305 US; add a night dive for $30 US. Taxes are included, but the $3 US per day Marine Park fee is extra. Dive with Martin provides free rental gear with its dive packages, if you don't have (or don't want to lug) your own diving gear, and will store your gear for you between dives (though, frankly, its rinsing is pretty slap-dash, but for daily diving, OK, as long as you thoroughly rinse and clean it after the last day of diving). Tres Pelicanos quotes on its web site a 5-day 2-tank package at $329 PLUS 16% tax (about $362 US total), and charges extra for rental gear. Blue XTSea quotes $400 US plus tax ($464 US total) for a 5-day 2-tank dive package, with rental gear extra. All charge about the same extra for Nitrox. DWM charges $4 US extra per tank for an AL 100 tank if you want more air. I don't know about either Tres Pelicanos or Blue XTSea. While Dive with Martin is certainly a budget operation, it is still very good; I've been diving with them several times and, with the exception of one time when I got a very short fill on an AL 100 (an AL 100 that is only filled to 2400 psi has no advantage at all over a properly filled AL 80!), I have no complaints at all, and I really like a couple of their DMs, Miguel Estrella and Roberto.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think there are any AI's that include diving.

as far as experience goes, you can't just tell a reputable dive op your experience, they will require you to show your C-card, yes, but they will evaluate you in the water the first day or so to see whether or not you need "baby sitting" ... sounds like you shouldn't. usually once you have been 'approved' by the DM's, they don't require you to be right up their butts too much, just stay within eye shot. Your DM should cover his requirements in the pre-dive briefings.

Dive with Martin has always had very good rates and is a very good dive op, (not sure if they are doing cash only still or not, but always good rates). Other dive ops to check into are Blue Angel, Bottom Time Divers, Living Underwater, Dive with Alison, ScubaTony & Tres Pelicanos, you'd have to get quotes to see if they fit into you budget.

Most dive ops will pick up at most hotel piers, from downtown south, so diving with an "in house" dive op is not necessary. Again, check with who you are thinking of diving with to make sure they will pick you up, otherwise you might have to go to the "Caletta" (the little harbor about 2 1/2 miles south of town, that most dive boats harbor at & some dive ops operate out of) to catch your boat.

budget minded hotels: Hotel Cozumel is reasonable and has AI options. Blue Angel offers free daily breakfast on dive days , Hotel Barracuda, Casa del Mar, Casa Mexicana, Tiki Village are all budget minded places.

The Fiesta Americana has recently been renovated and I THINK they do AI now. The Sabor and Occidental Grand are popular AI's, but quite a bit out of town, $20 U.S. cab fare (min.) one way from OG to town, probably closer to $15 U.S. for the Sabor. One note, not sure if Barracuda is still a good place to stay, I haven't heard much about it lately, folks that used to stay there always gave it good reviews, maybe someone else can chime in about it.

AI is not super important on Coz, unless it's just what you prefer, as there are many very good budget minded places to eat on the island covering many types of cuisine, and if you stay at places close to town, Hotel Coz, Casa Mexican, Barracuda, you could save on cab fares by walking (Barracuda and Casa Mexicana are both actually in town)

I think usually flying into Cancun and doing the "bag drag" is cheaper, but takes up more of your day. You just have to check air fares to both Coz and Cancun and see if by the time you figure in transfer for both of you to and from Playa del Carmen, and the Ferry both directions is worth the money you save over flying directly into Coz. I think, $20 U.S. per person(ish) from Cancun to Playa on a bus & it looks like ferry fees are around $11 U.S. per person one way.

Transfers from the Coz airport to you hotel are handled by government controlled shuttles, that are part of the taxi system. it can cost up to $20 per person depending on how far south you are staying on the island. We stay at Blue Angel, it is about 1 mile south of town and our transfers from the airport (which is on the north side of town) are usually $16 U.S. for the both of us.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

Sharky----with all due respect, a few gentle corrections-------there is no "Tiki Village" in Cozumel. I've seen you mention this place on a few posts. Are you talking about Village Tan Kah next to Case del Mar?

Shared Van fare from the airport to Blue Angel is about $6 usd per person these days, but maybe you just tip a lot?.........hahha

The airport van from CUN to Playa del Carmen is NOT $20 one way........much closer to $10-12........just so folks doing the bag drag know what to expect...........just sayin'. Thanks for listening.........hhaha.

Wow...I was not expecting such a huge amount of responses. Thank you to everybody for their input! Really appreciate it.

I think the current plan is not go all inclusive but we may keep the dive-op/accommodation linked, but of course will look into cost effectiveness and how well the operations suit what we are looking for. I did want to eat around, thats part of the fun of traveling! I think we might go in ~June and do two nights in Cancun (one for Cenotes, one for Whale Shark) and then do the 4 nights/3 days of diving on Cozumel. If we go in February, probably do the same but only one night in Cancun. Once again, very appreciative of all the info. Will make budgeting and planning the trip much much easier once we settle on dates and lock in flights.

As for heat...I am Chinese but have spent my entire life in Canada, so hopefully my genes will help me on that end. If not...I'll just deal with it, can't be much worse than braving snow and near freezing water here :D

Back
Top Bottom