Diving with Diabetes Type 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate the input. My son also follows the criteria outlined by bmorescuba, which also mirrors the direction from his diabetes doctor, which signed his medical release, in order for my son to be able to get his certification. All has gone well so far with his diving and diabetes management.

Question: I downloaded the PADI medical release, but am not completely sure how much of it to fill in, in order to follow the practice mjennings above follows. It seems what would be needed for dive operators would be the first page with the Diabetes checked, the student info (even though he is no longer a "student"), and the doctor info, with the "I find no medical......" checked ? Does the doctor need to check that, plus write something in the remarks section about the diabetes??? Or just provide the check in the box with no remarks ??

Ben

Ben

DiveBen

I just looked over my PADI medical release and I had filled out the student section with my contact info and for the physician section i had my doctor fill out the remarks section as well as the section for how to contact him as well as his office address.

I'am not 100% on the need for any remarks from the doctor, I guess that would be based on the dive shop or charter. But I had my doctor fill it out just in case with some comments about A1C and hypoglycemia avoidance.

Cheers
Dave

Having had Type 1 diabetes for 20 years, I was issued with a pump two years ago and was medically signed off fit in April 2010. In UK I did the PADI theory and confined water dives in June/July, then spent a fortnight in Dahab, Egypt for the Open Water Referral from which I did the AOWD in October. By sticking to the guidelines of testing my BG three times before each dive and immediately after a dive (to make sure it was stable or rising), and carrying 2 x 100 ml Hypostop/Glucogel in my BCD I had no problems whatsoever. When disconnected from the pump one’s BG will tend to rise. I gave blood for HBA1C before I went on holiday and learned afterwards it was ~ 6.5%. Total cholesterol was < 4 mmol/l so all in all I am a very happy 53 year old man!

Nice A1C 6.5% thats were I try to keep mine, I well normally test my blood in the morning then once before my dive and then probably take a complex carbohydrate if the number is less then 8. So far no problems.

I have Type 1 diabetes and was surprised when diagnosed with it as it does not run my family. The believe the best thing you can do is regular exercise. Build up your cardiovascular system. Take prescribed meds, and check levels after strenuous exercise. My diabetes is related to Agent Orange. I also have some nerve damage from it but I dive on a regular bases. In fact because of the nerve damage the doctors at the VA believe that diving is great therapy for me. And, both doctors are divers. I also have a colonostrophy bag and have been cleared with all of my problems to dive but then again I can feel a slight change in my body if the levels drop and I always eat a powerbar between dives. I sometimes do up to four or five dives a day, and lug tanks on and off of the boat along with other gear.
You can deal with a lot of so called physical problems if you slowly condition your body and mind to do it. But work it slow and do not exceed your limitations.

I'm new to scuba diving and actually haven't been certified yet because of my type 1 diabetes and my endo refusing to sign.
He claims to know nothing about scuba diving and doesn't want to "put me at risk". Obviously my own personal endo knows me best, but I'm trying to pursue other medical doctors with scuba knowledge that might be able to help me out.

Has anyone here struggled to get their medical signed? I really do not think my endo is going to change his mind on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom