Blue Reef Orca Torch 900 Lumens Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to replace my two Light Cannon HID lights that coincidently both fire died the same night on my pre dive check. I'm interested in some of the cheap Chinese lights, but saw this on Leisure Pro last night for what appears to be a good price and also may be something that has better and more consistent quality control than the "Chinese" lights (although it's likely made in the same factories and rebranded).

Does anyone know anything or have any experience with these lights?

Blue Reef Orca Torch 900 Lumens Light D510

Thanks in advance!

I've only taken one in the pool so far, but even if I didn't work here I'd have one in my kit. And if you get it and don't like it, or run into any problems with it, we have a great return policy and warranty. If you have any specific questions about it, let me know!

I've only taken one in the pool so far, but even if I didn't work here I'd have one in my kit. And if you get it and don't like it, or run into any problems with it, we have a great return policy and warranty. If you have any specific questions about it, let me know!

Thanks, I will probably end up getting. One more thing, can you you use any type of C battery such as rechargeable NiMH 5000mAh? Or what kind of rechargeable batteries would be recommended?

Good question on the battery, I've only tried traditional non-rechargeables so I'm not entirely sure. I just sent a message over to a couple of people who work more closely with the manufacturer to see what they know and will update when I hear back.

I had the 700 and I like it. It's smaller and uses rechargeable 18650

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Good question on the battery, I've only tried traditional non-rechargeables so I'm not entirely sure. I just sent a message over to a couple of people who work more closely with the manufacturer to see what they know and will update when I hear back.

Coming from the UK Light Cannon HID, I had to deal with 8 C disposable batteries which had a high cost of running until I got the battery pack. I don't want to spend more on batteries each dive than I do for an air fill, not to mention environmental concerns with disposable's.

I had the 700 and I like it. It's smaller and uses rechargeable 18650

I was looking at that one too. It's cheaper (since it comes with a battery) and I kind of like the 3 different modes and it seems to have a slightly tighter hot spot (8 degrees versus 10). What I like about the 900 better is the rotary switch, longer burn time and obviously the higher lumens.

My primary use for the light is for lobstering off the beach and it's not uncommon for me to have a bottom time of 100+ minutes (plus kick out/in with light on for part of the time). The 700 only has 1.5 hours at max brightness which may fall short. I don't want to use a lower setting since I will to see as far out in the distance as possible. Hopefully the hotspot will cut through even further than my Light Cannon HID.

I just think the 900 is too big and you won't like using it. They are cheap get two of the 700s

From the manufacturer:

Yes, you can use rechargeable NiMH battery on D510 as long as the voltage for the battery is no more than 1.5V because the working voltage for D510 is 3-4.5V.

Ordered, thanks for checking!

I just think the 900 is too big and you won't like using it. They are cheap get two of the 700s

I'm not worried about the size, it's the same length as my Light Cannon, but much smaller and lighter (3C batteries vs 8) in every other regard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom