Weezle undersuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
So, my LDS is running a campaign on the Weezle Extreme Plus, and I'm considering whether or not I should buy another undersuit. The discount is pretty hefty.

However, I've heard mixed experiences with Weezle. Some say it's really warm and comfy, some say it's no good when the water drops below 6-7 C (~45F). I'm wondering if that's due to the way people use their DS, since I have a Russian cap made by Weezle and the material is really light. Almost like a duvet. So I can imagine that someone who likes to run their DS a bit on the tight side would more have problems lofting a Weezle than an undersuit made by other manufacturers. Or it may of course be that the Weezles are overrated.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

Last edited:
I have owned 4 undersuits and 2 of them have been Weezle Extreme Plus.

I have been quite happy with Weezle in cold water.

Please choose torso long enough, that you can extend your arms to valves.

TK

So, my LDS is running a campaign on the Weezle Extreme Plus, and I'm considering whether or not I should buy another undersuit. The discount is pretty hefty.

However, I've heard mixed experiences with Weezle. Some say it's really warm and comfy, some say it's no good when the water drops below 6-7 C (~45F). I'm wondering if that's due to the way people use their DS, since I have a Russian cap made by Weezle and the material is really light. Almost like a duvet. So I can imagine that someone who likes to run their DS a bit on the tight side would more have problems lofting a Weezle than an undersuit made by other manufacturers. Or it may of course be that the Weezles are overrated.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

I have been quite happy with Weezle in cold water.

Please choose torso long enough, that you can extend your arms to valves.

Thanks. What's your definition of "cold water"?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

as one who did undersuit development work, I will say the Weezle is a very outdated technology that is not worth investing in. Does it work in ideal situations? absolutely, does it start sucking really quick when the conditions change? yeah... If you sweat, if the suit burps, if you need to decrease the bubble size, it fails very quickly. You are far better off investing in something like 4th Element if you need to stay warm. The material functions marginally better in perfect conditions, and infinitely better once the suit gets wet.

One of Finland's best scuba shops is run by a pair of very experienced divers literally out of their garage, Sukellusluola which means the Diving Cave/Dive cave. Their website says something along the lines of "to dive Finnish temps you should get a Weezle Extreme plus, period. Nothing else is ITHO as good or as warm." Note! That's a paraphrase of text I have not read recently. It's an accurate reflection but it is NOT a direct quote.
I've used one for maybe 6 years and been very happy with it, no heated vest or gloves and most winter dives 1-4C. For those temps I also use merino wool long underwear and a 100% wool thin Finnish army sweater. The sweater is only for those coldest dives.

I own an Ursuit heavy undersuit too, but it distinctly is not as warm and most importantly, the blanket-like loft of it doesn't crush as well at the joints so it isn't as flexible nor as comfortable. The comfort I notice most at the elbow, where you really crush and fold a lot of material if you have a thick undersuit. The Weezle expands to fill all the space left in the suit, so any time you add air it can add loft and warmth. At the same it crushes down in size amazingly much, like a down sleeping bag does, so it is still soft and comfortable even when you virtually vacume pack yourself.

I have read a very great many enthusiastic Fouth Element testimonials, and I would not be surprised if their best is every bit as warm and maybe as comfortable/otherwise nice to wear. But I also supect that the Extreme plus gets you to that same level for significantly less money.

BTW the Weezle is also exceptionally good at transferring moisture to the outside surface of the suit. Twice now I've had tiny leaks for months before I could be sure it really was a leak: I never noticed any moisture until I took off my drysuit, so it took months to be sure it wasn't just sweat creating the surface moisture :-D

I also use the same Weezle in summer over just underwear and a t-shirt or a swimsuit for temps 14-17C. I'm not sure I've ever seem open water warmer than 17C in Finland. Been using the same suit for about 6 yrs, maybe 400 dives so far. No change in its function or looks so far.

One of Finland's best scuba shops is run by a pair of very experienced divers literally out of their garage, Sukellusluola which means the Diving Cave/Dive cave. Their website says something along the lines of "to dive Finnish temps you should get a Weezle Extreme plus, period. Nothing else is ITHO as good or as warm.".....

I take it this shop also sells Weezle?

:D

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Now, IME there are two very good reasons for a shop to push certain brands:

1: that's what they - for various reasons - stock, and pushing that on their customers is the most cost-effective solution
2: they are enthusiasts, and since they sincerely believe that those products are the best, that's what they want to sell. Often based on personal experience, which may or may not be rather limited.

Or something inbetween...

--

I like mine, warmer than the fusion undergarment I bought and warmer than the DUI before that. I've never tried fourth element though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, opinions online are pretty much in line with what I've heard IRL, i.e. all over the place. Still undecided. On the one hand, the reduced packing volume is tempting, and the Weezle russian cap I have is very comfortable. And the price is less than half of the price of a 4th element. On the other hand, I have to admit I'm sceptical to how the extremely compressible material will behave on the underside of my torso.

I guess I'll keep on dithering until the offer expires...

--

I have the weezel extreme plus I dove it Saturday for a 90 mins dive with a slight leak and stayed warm . The water temp was 42.6 per my computer.

It is puffy and has a lead cost of about 5 lbs for me. It is my cold water 50 and below suit.
Herb

Back
Top Bottom