DIY "cinch" Quick Adjust DIR Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread helped motivate me to change my BP/W harness. I will NOT use a fixed shoulder strap length harness. I generally don't use a crotch strap and it is impossible for me to get a good fit with these constraints- plus I demand that my harness is relatively easy to get into and out of.

I dive solo a lot (and get tangled too often) so scuba unit remove and replace (while diving) is more frequent than I like. I also dive from small boats and often have a heavy tank balancing on a gunwale and I want to get into it FAST.

Most recently my harness included plastic shoulder buckles and an elastic rubber waist strap. I was not happy,, the buckles were kinda cluttering up my front, they sometimes partially popped open and the rubber waist strap was comfortable, but was constantly getting trapped behind me when I was getting dressed- since it didn't have sufficient rigidity. It worked, but was somewhat of a pain.

So, I copied the most basic idea of this thread and it worked great (so far). I have a D-ring on each shoulder and a D-ring on each hip (and I still avoid the crotch strap if I can). I used a single piece of 2-inch standard nylon belting for the harness.

However instead of running the shoulder straps down to the slots in the backplate- I did something else. Super simple...

An independent piece of belt running behind the plate (yellow in the photo), sticking out from the side of the plate an inch or two, I placed two, Stacked weight belt sliders (retainers) and ran the belt through only one slot on each side. Then I run the shoulder strap through the open slot in the retainers on each side.. it is super simple, robust and slides easily. The maximum shoulder length (slide amplitude)is constrained by the two hip D-rings on the waist strap.

Probably I just needed to post the picture. I am not sure why I didn't come up with this entirely on my own.

I've used it once so far, but I am pretty sure this rig will not need to be changed for my use.

G0031851.jpgG0041854.jpg

I was using the rig in the photo above for a while now, but there was more friction in the sliders than I liked.

Recently I replaced one side with a "half-sized" 2 -inch SS D-ring from Dive Gear express. I tried it on one side and it slides so much easier. This is an improvement. I need to change the other side.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/d-ring-low-profile-2-in-51-cm-s-s

asset.php

Attachments

• GOPR0924.jpg
    GOPR0924.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 607
There are a few other options, some are simple but cost, some are kinda simple and are cheap, some are simple and cheap, some are complex and expensive.

UTD quick adjust system
Sub gravity sliders
Halcyon cinch
DSS slider

DD, I love seeing stuff like this, most of us just love to tinker and see ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered one of the SubGravity sliders. Figure it's worth a shot.

I love the agir harpa design. I had the idea to cut and thread a d-ring to a flat plate strip and insert thru the slot but went another way so I wouldn't have to buy the SS strip. I decided to work with what I already had instead of buying more material. See the old thread and my update http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-it-yourself-diy/324904-looking-ss-hardware-3.html I love the bend agir put in to help lock the strap. My system works well and not hard to do if you have a drill, bits, and die. I would go further in on the plate with my holes instead of going outside the slot to create a better wrap on my body. I might just drill new holes to see if there is improvement.
Update: Looks like the pics are gone from the thread linkimage3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to edit but the images didn't save. I need to review how to ad the images

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 476
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 481
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 504
I have done something very similar as above, but do you feel it offers any advantage to my latest "solution" which takes two 75 cent D-rings and 2 ft of belt? (and 4 minutes)?

I swapped out the "HD Slider" I was using on the end and at the plate for a single rectangular "loop" and it gave me excellent results in reducing the friction. With using the webbing, and having it 6-8 inches linger, it gives ma a place to put a pair of weight pockets. The harness then slides/adjusts without interference.

I'm Driving an apeks soft plate today and just running the waist belt through the rings at the bottom and it is adjusting fine for me you might just try running the belt so that it can slide around/through the backplate and seeing if that cinches enough for you.

Back
Top Bottom