Irda. Driver for Windows 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quote from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.../9d5e73cf-7a1a-4633-b6e1-186d8b42f97b?page=10

I'm on a mailing list about this problem and received the following email.
Latest Windows 10 update has changed things.
Hi Everyone, Caleb here from Coolgear again. You may have noticed that Microsoft has put out a big update to Windows 10. Part of this update allowed the IRDA driver to correctly install, however it still doesn't quite work correctly.

I've been in touch with the chipset provider and they have told me that this changes a lot of things about getting a new driver released. They wouldn't go into technical details, but I was assured that they would have a new driver done by the beginning of the year. From there they would send it off to Microsoft for testing and to receive their "stamp of approval" so it can be publicly released. This process typically takes about 3-4 weeks, so we're tentatively expecting a February 2016 release date for the driver.

Stay tuned to our website, and to this mailing list for further updates.

A long wait :(

Hi all,

Using an Ubuntu virtual machine under Win10, I've managed to get IrDA working.

I used VMWare Player (free; you could probably use VirtualBox if you prefer), Ubuntu 14.04 (also free), and Wine (open source project to get Windows software working in LInux). I also used SmartTrak 2.08. I went to the Linux VM path as it's free and there's no issues with serial keys etc that you'd have with Windows variants.

I configured Ubuntu using the instructions found at: https://www.winehq.org/search?q=smartrak
The instructions are a tad sparse so I will try and write some more detailed step-by-step instructions for configuring Ubuntu to the ones provided when I can if anyone wants to give it a try.

Regards

P.S. I was tempted to provide a pre-configured VM for people to use but the VM comes in at over 4GB so I figure DIY instructions are the next best thing.

Last edited:
It is suggested that Windows 10 Insider Program Build 11082 supports IrDA again.

I shall see if I can get it on my desktop PC...

It is suggested that Windows 10 Insider Program Build 11082 supports IrDA again.
I shall see if I can get it on my desktop PC...

I have just installed the new windows 10 version using the insider program (fast).
The install was similar from the November 'major' update.
And my no-brand irda receiver is working again and my dives are transferred to my computer!

Doing the insider program gives you fast access to new versions of windows, but increases the risk for buggy versions...

Yes, indeed it does work (but slower IMHO).

Just plugged my Scubapro dongle in, no software needed, installed SmartTRAK, restart needed, created a new file and downloaded my Luna.

It took several minutes but units complete dive history downloaded okay.

I shall try and compare the time taken for a complete download using Windows 7, I am sure it was under one minute.

The first install's download always seems to take a long time.

After reading the recent posts regarding Windows 10 build 11082, I went through the grief of becoming a Windows Insider and rebuilding my system. It wasn't 11082, so I did some more research and saw I had to be a "fast ring" insider, so I did that...waited a day...and then was able to download and build 11082. That means I invested somewhere between 10 and 12 hours in downloading and installing test versions of Windows 10. When I tried out my IRDA, I still get the following:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I have reinstalled the driver, but still no go. Any ideas?

After reading the recent posts regarding Windows 10 build 11082, I went through the grief of becoming a Windows Insider and rebuilding my system. It wasn't 11082, so I did some more research and saw I had to be a "fast ring" insider, so I did that...waited a day...and then was able to download and build 11082. That means I invested somewhere between 10 and 12 hours in downloading and installing test versions of Windows 10. When I tried out my IRDA, I still get the following:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I have reinstalled the driver, but still no go. Any ideas?

Sounds like the stack does not exist. Does the Device Manager show the IrDA?

I take back what I said above! After screwing around a bit with the device manager, I realized I had a stub enabled instead of the correct driver. Once I switched over to the right driver, it worked!!! So now I have downloaded the last couple of months worth of dives to SmartTRAK. The only real problem is that there isn't enough memory in my Tec2G, so I lost a couple of dozen dives. That's no big deal, though. I'm good to go now!

So yes, the answer is that Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Evaluation copy Build 11082 DOES support IRDA.

Reactions: Jax
I take back what I said above! After screwing around a bit with the device manager, I realized I had a stub enabled instead of the correct driver. Once I switched over to the right driver, it worked!!! So now I have downloaded the last couple of months worth of dives to SmartTRAK. The only real problem is that there isn't enough memory in my Tec2G, so I lost a couple of dozen dives. That's no big deal, though. I'm good to go now!

So yes, the answer is that Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Evaluation copy Build 11082 DOES support IRDA.

Any idea when the rest of us will see this?

Back
Top Bottom