Liveaboard recommendations for Raja Ampat Dec 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting to plan my dream diving trip. I will be traveling solo in late December of 2016. Taking 3 weeks vacation for this trip. Flying from NYC. Need some advice on:

1) Vessel Recommendations.
2) Budget. I figure $6K-8K USD including flight should be enough? I have lots of mile from American Airlines. So I can use miles to flight to Hong Kong. 7 days of diving is enough, but 10 days is fine as well.
3) Are there liveaboard with cheaper single supplement. Would rather have own room.
4) Best way to fly there. I think most likely it will be to Sorong. So I would need NYC <--.......--> Sorong

Thanks in Advance.

Raja Ampa is fantastic diving so you should be happy with your choice to go there.
vessel recommendations- there are so many it really depends on your budget, which is influenced by your question #3 of single supplements
I am not aware of any boats that have small single supplements, the boats are usually full so it really doesn't pay for them to have a small single supplement. They will do same sex sharing or co-ed sharing if both parties agree.( or you could take me and I'll sleep on deck!) But most likely you'll have a considerable sized single supplement.
I've been on Mermaid2 in Komodo and it was excellent, also Black Manta in Raja Ampat which also excellent. Both considered mid-range. I've also been on the Pearl of Papua in Raja, which is considered budget and it has an excellent cruise director, the food is good,but the boat isn't in the best shape and the lower level bathrooms are funky.
Best way to fly there? Probably via Jakarta as that will give you the most choices to get to Sorong.
I would recommend doing a 10 day trip or if you do a 7 make sure it goes south to the Misool area.
Are you flying all that way for just 7-10 days of diving? Indonesia has other great spots that can be combined with Raja. You do mention 3 weeks of vacation.

You may have better luck in the Indonesia subform.

I've been to Raja once and it was on the Dewi Nusantara. Not a single thing to complain about. Vessel, crew, and diving were all top notch.

Mermaid 1 has a single cabin and is offering a 10% discount now. Amira and Damai 1 also have singles,but more expensive. Book early

I'm planning the same trip during the same period! Also based in NYC and may stop by HKG a couple days to see family. My 3-week itinerary will likely cover Bangka (Coral Eye Resort), Lembeh, then Raja Ampat. From my initial research, that looks to be a good combo.

Head on over to the Indonesia board and check out this and this thread and more.

Has anyone been on the Silolona liveaboard? Is it good "value" for a luxury dive op? I'm curious as to whether it's worth the splurge. Thanks!

Last edited:
Another vote for Mermaid I. Excellent boat & crew. I did the Komodo trip on it but in December time it will be doing RA trips.

I actually went to RA myself on MSY Seahorse. No complaints myself but some others seem to have had a few issues.

Mermaid I booked!!!
No good deed goes unpunished, I think you got the space I was looking at,for a trip with friends. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom