Reaching the tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies. In response to the question, this is with a single tank.

I agree that it's a critical skill, because of the accident pattern of people entering the water with the valve off, possibly complicated by their buddy not being in the water yet and buoyancy problems.

I'll try some of the techniques suggested. I figured out the elbows-in part out of the water, in the mirror, so I could see how close I am. I'm finding I can grab the reg and walk my fingers down to the handwheel, but I believe I can do better than that with some gentle stretching.

Thanks for the replies. In response to the question, this is with a single tank.

I agree that it's a critical skill, because of the accident pattern of people entering the water with the valve off, possibly complicated by their buddy not being in the water yet and buoyancy problems.

I'll try some of the techniques suggested. I figured out the elbows-in part out of the water, in the mirror, so I could see how close I am. I'm finding I can grab the reg and walk my fingers down to the handwheel, but I believe I can do better than that with some gentle stretching.
Until then and even after, two suggestions. When gearing up and opening the valve, always open fully. That way you will not enter the water with a less then fully open valve. Too often I have seen divers just crack the valve to check pressure then forget to fully open valve. And even more importantly, make it a habit to always take 3 breaths off you regulator while watching the gauge. If there is no drop in pressure, the valve is open.

Edit: The three breaths are just before you splash. Not after. :D

Three FULL breaths. This also flushes CO2 and allows you more time U/W to solve your problem.

That's kinda hard to do when your tank isn't on...

This is a critical skill.

There are several ways that you can enter the water with a closed valve. Inattention, falling off a dock, boat, etc...

Assuming a right-handed diver:

Reach behind you with your left hand, grab the tank butt and yank to get the tank on an angle on your back. Immediately reach for the valve with your right hand while your left hand now comes up and pushes your right elbow to gain several more inches of reach.

I have done this too, basically push the tank up with your left hand while feeling around with your right. I think it's important to be able to reach your valve even with a single tank, although in reality most recreational divers probably can't do it. Ironically, the few times I have entered the water with my valve off were back when I was DMing, paying attention to everyone else's valve, forgetting about mine. It's a bit embarrassing.

I try to adjust the tank as high as I can without the valve hitting my head when I look up. Fo me this usually results in good trim and it allows me to reach the valve.

This topic highlights another reason why I don't like the DIN/yoke spin on adapters and why I think buying DIN regs to use on yoke tanks is a big mistake. Since those adapters push the regulator forward, you have to lower the tank further to avoid getting bonked on the head every time you look up. This makes the valve even harder to reach.

Three FULL breaths. This also flushes CO2 and allows you more time U/W to solve your problem.

Better yet, make sure your BCD is full with air before jumping in. You will always get back to the surface no matter what that way. Usually, I don't even have a reg in my mouth when jumping in. I do make very sure my wing is filled with air however.

AJ:
Better yet, make sure your BCD is full with air before jumping in. You will always get back to the surface no matter what that way. Usually, I don't even have a reg in my mouth when jumping in. I do make very sure my wing is filled with air however.

I always have my reg in my mouth when jumping in. And I always breathe the reg while looking at the SPG immediately before the jump.

Always.

Back
Top Bottom