Rigging Bail Out Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive with a KISS Sport and in and since the class used a 13 cf bail out mounted to the DIL. The valve is upright and the reg has a 2nd stage, button PG, and an inflator hose. I need to go to a larger bailout and was thinking of slinging a 40 cf tank on my left side but trying to determine how to run the inflator hose (possibly 2: one for BCD and one for Drysuit). Any pointers?

Run the inflator off your dil and the drysuit off the 40.

I run my BCD off my dil, run my counterlung MAV off my bailout, run my drysuit off a inflation bottle. I find that by the time my drysuit squeeze is gone, I have to add very little to the wing to trim out, so it's not an issue running it off my dil. If I didn't have my inflation bottle, I'd run it off my bailout as well so that I have redundant inflation. This also allows you to hand off your bailout if necessary and still have the ability to control your buoyancy.

If you're asking about hose length and routings, it really depends on your style of running your bailout. I sidemount mine with a buttplate and bungees so it's pulled up tight by my armpit so my hose length to OTSCL's can be pretty short. My BOV feed is a two part system with a Swagelok QC6 QD, the tank side has a short 12" hose, the BOV side has a 40" hose on it. If you run your bailout just clipped off to your waist and chest d-ring you might need a little more length. How you end up routing the hose is just going to depend on what's most comfortable to you.

Also, not specifically related to your question, but I would consider a larger bailout bottle. 40cuft. really isn't much gas if you take a CO2 hit at max depth (think like, 3x RMV!!!). Even within NDL's, the time it takes to make an ascent, a min deco ascent or even a safety stop, plus having an adequate reserve for any contingencies that might arise, you might better be served by a 72 or an 80.

Thank you for the replies. As I said in the course the bail out was a 13 cf. That seemed very small but for what we were doing (80 ft or less dives in open ocean) I guess that sufficed if just barely. The 40 cf is a minimum requirement for a specific purpose. I have seen short 40s or 50s mounted horizontally under the scrubber. I like not having a bottle slung to the side but a tank above a 50 mounted horizontally would be impractical. Slinging a bottle to the side, once I work out the hose length and routing would be close to the same whether I use a 40 or larger. I appreciate the pointers and I'll have to look into the Swagelok you mentioned. Do you have those installed by the supplier of the customs length hoses?

I don't think I understand the question. Why would you need a different hose configuration just to increase the size of a bailout bottle? And why would you need to run wing inflation from bailout? In a bailout situation, you won't need wing inflation unless you are in an overhead environment where you need to descend before you can ascend. And if that's the case, your whole configuration sucks. If you've been diving with a 13cf pony bottle as bailout, then your dives have to be shallow, open water, and no deco. So what kind of dives are you planning now and why would you need any different configuration other than graduating to a big boy tank?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

On the west coast diving rebreathers for recreational type diving is becoming more common. Most of the certification agencies that are not originally "Tech" recommend a small redundant bail-out for rebreather dives to 60 fsw. Deeper dives they recommend a minimum of a 40 cf cylinder to 100 fsw. Technically even the recreational rebreathers are rated to 130 fsw, but because they are "air" only units the agencies like to recommend a 100 fsw limit.

I can't imagine using 13cf unless its so shallow I can basically stand up. In which case I'd dive OC in the first place. To ~50ft depth I use a 40cf, 50 to 130ft an al80. Below that I need 1 or more 80s and deco gases.

I sidemount them all using the ADM armadillo style rigging and a butt plate on my SS backplate. The regulator is clipped off to a loop of bungie around my neck so its necklaced but also detachable.

I've worked with a few CCR divers to configure bailouts in sidemount. It's pretty simple and there's a bunch of resources online, identifiable via Google.

You need a clipping point down near your arse, and put a bungee, running under your armpit, from the upper backplate to the shoulder D-ring.

Cylinder hardware is simply a worm screw band, 440 cord, bolt-snap and rubber, elastic or bungee loops.

For the regulator, I'd put a 7' hose (looped along the CYLINDER and an SPG on 6" hose. If you wanted to run an LPI off the reg, it's easy. For drysuit, run a 9-12" LPI hose horizontally off a 5th port (if the reg has one).

---------- Post added January 8th, 2016 at 03:39 PM ----------

I've worked with a few CCR divers to configure bailouts in sidemount. It's pretty simple and there's a bunch of resources online, identifiable via Google.

https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&...d7lW6zeBPIUrhH8Mg&sig2=DD2-4H9lVmE_larRglrIpQ
CCR Sidemount • Stage Configuration for Exploration • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

Sidemount, Rebreather Bailout, Lamar Hires

You need a clipping point down near your arse, and put a bungee, running under your armpit, from the upper backplate to the shoulder D-ring.

Cylinder hardware is simply a worm screw band, 440 cord, bolt-snap and rubber, elastic or bungee loops.

For the regulator, I'd put a 7' hose (looped along the CYLINDER and an SPG on 6" hose. If you wanted to run an LPI off the reg, it's easy. For drysuit, run a 9-12" LPI hose horizontally off a 5th port (if the reg has one).

I use my rebreather for cave diving. My bailout is configured as two side-mount bottles, and I carry enough gas to get myself and a buddy out on open-circuit if needed. I also drive the DIL from the bailout bottles and use the rebreather bottle for wing and drysuit inflation.

I too, hang my 40cf bailout on the right, as opposed to the left like most. The reg works better from that side, muscle memory from having an octo on that side, and plus I'm usually dragging a DSLR rig that I have gripped in my left hand. end result, neither the 40cf or camera rig are banging around on each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom