40th Bday Trip- May Liveaboard???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.

I am going to post a similar post here, and to the Asia Forum. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge on this board and need some help focusing.

My 40th is approaching and I am pulling the ace card on my husband to go on our first liveaboard. I have AOW with 135 dives, he is over 200 and a DM.

I'm a May baby so would like to ideally be away in that month.

We've been to Thailand, Grenada, Bali, Bonaire, Philippines (Bohol, Moalboal, and Dauin) and most recently Roatan. I have fallen in love with Asian diving, and am looking for something special for the upcoming occasion.

We're photo people, so drifts aren't that great for us, nor are we tech divers. I've never been to any of the Micronesia or Pacific Islands and would love to give it a go.

Where would you go???

maat1976

If you want something different, I would suggest the Rocio del Mar to Socorro in May. But those trips get booked well in advance and so you'll be lucky to get in at such short notice. Worth trying that and other liveaboards going to Socorro.

Fiji is another possibility and there are a few liveaboards doing those trips. May might be OK but you need to check locally for Fiji and NOT rely on on-line opinions because the weather around those parts is changing and can be unpredictable.

Happy Birthday by the way. The best part of turning 40 is that it is downhill from that point all the way! :wink:

Palau
But do check the general weather pattern in May.

Fiji and they don't want drift dives?

I'm struggling to think of many places in the Pacific or Micronesia that don't have much current. Truk Lagoon?

Honestly, I too would probably say Fiji. It's got good diving, and you can go a bit upmarket if you're celebrating a special event. Good place to relax and chill out as well. But, current...

A quick clarification- current isn't terrible. I just want EVERY dive to be a drift.

I read somewhere that Palau is almost all drift. I will check out Fiji- might be a good option. :)

If you want drifts - Tuomoto Archipeligo in French Polynesia - drifts through the passes at Rangi, photography and the soft corals at Fakarava. No liveaboards yet but a great place to have your birthday :)

How about Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh combined? Not liveaboard but should be more than interesting enough for photographer.

PNG is another good liveaboard destination.

Last edited:
Photo opportunities and not alot of drifts? Komodo has great photo ops both wide and macro it does have current but those dives you usually hook in with a reef hook. Palau is the sharkyist place I've been beautiful reefs more of a wide angle place than macro...or at least the guides I had didn't do a lot of macro spotting. I did some drifts and some reef hook dives, and moon faze has a big impact as in Komodo. Want current? go at new or full moon... want gentle? in between full/new moon. Raja Ampat is also epic but I do believe in may most the boats move to Komodo. Raja Ampat is a photographers paradise with super fishy dives, colorful soft coral, big animals and small. Both Raja Ampat/ Komodo can be combined with other destinations in Indonesia as It's a far way to go for just 10 days or so. Lembeh-Bankga-Ambon-Bali all other locations in Indonesia that are excellent. But be careful if your already forming a Asian diving addiction Indonesia will get you fully hooked and craving a fix to return.

This is was the original idea exactly until husband became slightly open minded on a liveaboard. Am considering Two Fish as a backup option...

How about Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh combined? Not liveaboard but should be more than interesting enough for photographer.

PNG is another good liveaboard destination.

This is was the original idea exactly until husband became slightly open minded on a liveaboard. Am considering Two Fish as a backup option...
Dived with them several yrs ago at Lembeh. No problem unless you are looking for more up market places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom