New Diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Your first reg will probably not be your last, especially if you get into tech, so it is not as big a decision as you might think now. You get yoke now and DIN later or get DIN now and get yoke later so you don't have to change configuration and use a converter when using yoke valves. If you read the threads you hear all the stories.
But it can be done if one is getting good and unbiased advice in the beginning.

1. Your first reg will probably not be your last, especially if you get into tech, so it is not as big a decision as you might think now. You get yoke now and DIN later or get DIN now and get yoke later so you don't have to change configuration and use a converter when using yoke valves. If you read the threads you hear all the stories.

That is what I ended up doing. Got a yoke reg with the standard recreational configuration first, and then very soon afterwards a pair of DIN regs for sidemount diving. Having two separate setups also means that you don't have to reconfigure your regulator every time you switch between a recreational configuration with octo and a technical configuration with a long hose. And I have been to places in the Carribean where I would not be able to get a DIN tank. So yoke for rec and DIN for tech works for me.

But it can be done if one is getting good and unbiased advice in the beginning.

Even if you are getting unbiased advice now as a novice, how do you make your decision when you won't know what you really want until sometime in the future, not to mention deciding what is unbiased. My advice has always been to get a reasonably priced reg set so when you make up your mind what you need, if anything else, you won't have made an expensive mistake.

As another said, renting until learning enough to make an informed choice on your own is another valid way to deal with the issue.

A diver is not defined by the gear that he uses.

Bob

As another said, renting until learning enough to make an informed choice on your own is another valid way to deal with the issue.

A diver is not defined by the gear that he uses.
First, all opinions are biased. It's what makes them valuable. It's like looking at religious cults... Look at their fruits. If you like how a certain diver dives, start by imitating their gear choices. No, not just being friends, but really how they dive. I made my choice of a rebreather this way. Didn't even know the diver, but I saw him on an SF2 in Ginnie Springs and I certainly wanted to look that trim and in control. Yes, I examined it up close and found a way to dive one, but I was sold watching Tom in the water. He'll be my instructor too.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find the nicer regs out there for rent. The reg you choose is just fine. DIN would be my choice as well. Do a search here on ScubaBoard to find out about any problems and to read reviews that might have been written. If you can't find one, be sure to fill in the gap for the next guy looking at the reg. You don't have to be fancy... Just tell us why you like it, our not.

2. I know some people will say gear solution to skill problem, but I will ask anyways. I am going to be doing diving courses with instructors and would like to start getting into good habits. One of the bad things i can see myself doing, is losing track of time. There is a lot going on underwater and a lot to keep in mind and constantly think about. Is there any sort of watch that allows you to set an vibrating alarm for every 3-5 min or something? I can see this being a good way to get into the habit of checking air/computer/time. Just like bad habits, once you start good habits, it's hard to break them. Over time, the alarm wouldn't be needed.

Start playing a game with yourself where you guess your pressure and depth before looking at your instruments, so you're looking to confirm your guess rather than see your data. If you're like me, you'll start getting competitive with yourself and be disappointed when you're more than 5 feet or 50 psi off. The side effects are that you'll naturally increase the frequency of checks to avoid the risk of being "wrong" in your guesses, increase your sensitivity to minor depth changes felt in your ears or seen in ambient light levels, and develop an understanding of how fast you burn air at different depths.

Start playing a game with yourself where you guess your pressure and depth before looking at your instruments, so you're looking to confirm your guess rather than see your data. If you're like me, you'll start getting competitive with yourself and be disappointed when you're more than 5 feet or 50 psi off. The side effects are that you'll naturally increase the frequency of checks to avoid the risk of being "wrong" in your guesses, increase your sensitivity to minor depth changes felt in your ears or seen in ambient light levels, and develop an understanding of how fast you burn air at different depths.

I also guess bottom time, and by now I'm usually within a couple minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hi

As said before if you are diving locally with all you own set up the it really dose not matter din or yoke, din being the better and safer of the 2 with its secure connection. but look to what is used in the local area! if you are travelling a lot, a yoke is probably better, when using a adaptor on many regs you find when adapted they hit you on the back of the head all the time , a yoke will always stay the same and all you would need to carry is a small din insert for a tank (although most dive centres have many of these).

you should always have your own adaptor if you buy din as in my dive centre last month a group from Europe turned up and I didn't have enough adaptors

the watch thing just think how well sound travels underwater and if you have a alarm every few mins you wont be the favourite diver down there

between you and you buddy you shold be able to remind each other very quickly it becomes habit

you mentioned ice diving before you can do that you need to be a advanced open water diver, with dry suit training highly recomended. and lots and lots of experience as yo are in a overhead enviroment, in freezing water when at times lack of reference except your lines. re regulator it should have a enviromental seal (a cap where the reg is filled with oil that dosent freeze)

****TIP*** never exhale in to the reg out of the water even when checking it in cold air temperatures it can freeze from condansation on breath!!!

hope this helps

---------- Post added January 6th, 2016 at 11:39 AM ----------

"A diver is not defined by the gear that he uses."

completely agree

it seems the more you dive you realise minimal BUT always adequate equipment is better (about 16,000 dive experiance)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom