What would you do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this on a dive boat in the Mediterranean in summer. It was a small boat, and a woman who was more of a vacation diver wasn't trained properly. She was never trained how to assemble her gear when she was certified in some tropical location (yes, standards violation). All of her dives since then were of the concierge service types.

I would have been willing to help her, but the instructor on board took care of it. Honestly people, it is in all of our best interests if we help others have fun and keep diving. I'd also encourage the person to seek additional training and find out what the standards are, as unfortunately, standards violations/shortcuts are not uncommon.

In addition, I always travel with the card with my highest credentials, as it often gives me a bit more leeway (first one off the boat, last one on). With my camera setup, no DM is going to buddy me up with a beginner. That I will not do. But above the surface, I'll do what I can.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but you have to wonder what skills may be missing during the dive if the diver can't assemble gear. A safety thing. Years before I took OW I was on a cruise ship and passed on what was back then a Discover Scuba, as it's called today. Seemed sketchy, and I was always a "water" person. I don't think you have to live and breathe diving to be OK. But it only makes sense to have the basics down pretty good before doing a charter.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but you have to wonder what skills may be missing during the dive if the diver can't assemble gear. A safety thing.

That is the crux of the matter to me. Whether I choose to help the person or not, I'm going to bring the situation to the attention of the DM or captain who can assess what else might be missing, and hopefully decide accurately if the person will be safe to go into the water. They're the ones who will have to do all the paperwork...

When I was a new diver on a boat in the Keys, I noticed another diver struggling to figure out how to assemble his gear. He put his regulator on the tank before attaching his BC. After a while, someone told him the BC went first. Then he attached the BC upside down. I mentioned this to the captain and his response was to ask me to buddy with him. I rarely get involved when a diver doesn't know how to assemble his gear.

A few years later with a few hundred dives under my belt, I was buddied on a club trip with a guy who had not been diving in 25 years and had never been diving on the ocean. I helped him get his gear (all shiny and new) together, but then he couldn't submerge. I was actually very glad about that and I continued my dive solo.

This is why I have a solo cert. I have no problem diving with a new diver, but I won't dive with someone who won't listen, learn, or represents a danger to himself or to me.

To go back to the original post, I would refer the diver to the DM or Captain and avoid the situation as much as possible. I don't need the liability that comes with being an official "buddy"

What is there to be done? I’d just say "that’s too bad you should find a professional to help you".

They are vacation divers so please give them a break! Help them if you like and there is no point to look down at them. How difficult it is to help the poor guy to set up his equipment? Some peoples are very timid to ask for opinion.
A condescending attitude is pathetic.

I always have trouble with this, "They are vacation divers so please give them a break!" approach...is there something about vacation diving that makes it inherently safer than other forms of diving so much so that you don't need to stay current or keep your skills up so long as you only dive on vacation. Are you less likely to get in trouble in unfamiliar waters just because you are on vacation? Are "vacation climbers" less likely to fall off rock faces than climbers who practice regularly? It is NOT a condescending attitude nor is it pathetic...it is a genuine concern that someone who discloses that they can't remember how to assemble their rig might also have forgotten buoyancy control, gas monitoring, paying attention to NDL's. I don't mean to sound harsh or elitist or anything else but in my 40 odd years of diving I have seen this far too often...a boat full of well-intentioned folks who were certified a long time ago and only manage to get in the water when they are on holidays and they seldom realize the very real danger to themselves and others. If you can only dive on vacation then at least budgrt for a short refresher course at home before you leave home.

Very true. All trainee divers are clearly informed of the need for review/refresher training if/when they've not had opportunity to dive for a reasonable time. It's an exam and knowledge review question, and also in the safe diving practices form they sign on qualification...

Personally, if someone cannot assemble their kit, then it's a fair assumption that their other entry-level skills are also perished and unreliable.

I don't want to see more charters and dive tours pulling these lazy penny-pinchers off the dive roster and scheduling an assessment and/or refresher for them (BEFORE they get in the water and pose a safety liability to other divers and/or staff)..

Well said Andy!

I guess it's a matter of degree. I've never seen anyone drag all their stuff out of their bag and go "Duh, how does this go together." It's usually "I can't remember if the guages go on the right or left." They might have trouble getting their weight pockets secured or god forbid, try to string a weight belt. I've seen folks hook up the reg then start undoing the cam bands to attach the BCD. Man, if you sit there and watch them unthread a cam band, well you're just evil.:devil3: I can't help but to help out with that kind of stuff if they are struggling and they ask. We're all human. :)

Heh; that was me. I certified OW on a cruise in June two yrs ago, then went to Cozumel in September, with no dives between. I got through the weight check shore dive right after getting to the resort ok, but on the boat got my tank turned around, so that the valve was on the left. Of course everything still works, but is awkward. So one of the more experienced divers made some comment like "maybe you should take a look at how that's set up" or something like that. Of course, cocky me said "it will work" without stopping to really look at what I had done. Then somebody else pointed out that I had things turned around and I corrected it. I got chewed out pretty good (and deservedly so) by my roommate that night for the cocky response, and I was much more careful from then on. This past year, I have been diving about every other week, so my habits have gotten much better ingrained.

I would assessment his experience then speak with dm out of ear shot and I would keep an eye on him/her for if I save said life my trip is not ruined

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom