Tank recommendations for a girl of smallish stature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koi

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase some PST tanks for a novice female diver as a gift. She is 5'1" - 5'2" and does maily shore dives in a dry suit with a BP/wing (45#). I was thinking about picking up either an E7-120 or E8-130 for singles use now which she may eventually double up. Which of these two tanks would be a better choice? Or or both of these overwhelming for her size? Unfortunately, no shops around here rent those PST models.

While we're on that topic, which of those tanks would be more suitable for a male about 5'9" diving the same conditions and setup?

Thank you!

Those tanks will probably be too big for shore diving, even for you. Take a look at the type of diving you'll realistically be doing and how much gas you need, then base your tank purchase on that.

I would suggest something along the lines of an HP80 for her and an HP100 for you, based on your post.

Ben

Thanks for the suggestion. She actually did try a PST E7-80 and liked the size. However, she knows she would like to dive deeper when she becomes more experienced and belives that an single HP80 would probably not be a good idea past 120'. Or would doubling up two HP80s be a better option rather than one larger tank?

Just trying to look out for the future to minimize the amount of equipment that is purchased (which almost seems like an impossible task at times).

koi:
Thanks for the suggestion. She actually did try a PST E7-80 and liked the size. However, she knows she would like to dive deeper when she becomes more experienced and belives that an single HP80 would probably not be a good idea past 120'. Or would doubling up two HP80s be a better option rather than one larger tank?

Just trying to look out for the future to minimize the amount of equipment that is purchased (which almost seems like an impossible task at times).

I don't know much about cylinders in the US.. but I'd say doubling up is always preferable to a big single.

I thought you guys buy LP steel's and overfill them ?

TX101:
I don't know much about cylinders in the US.. but I'd say doubling up is always preferable to a big single.

I thought you guys buy LP steel's and overfill them ?

Thats only if you know about such things and have the facilities, which few recreational divers would.

To the original poster, I think you're going to be looking at either two different tanks, or two sets to meet your future needs. Something like gator suggested would serve well for shore diving (except one tank is rarely enough), but once you get into deeper dives, you will either be looking at larger tanks or doubles, depending on your level of training and how much money you have :wink: .

I would say an E8-130 would be way too long for your short friend for shore diving, as well as overkill to use as a single.

MD

koi:
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase some PST tanks for a novice female diver as a gift. She is 5'1" - 5'2" and does maily shore dives in a dry suit with a BP/wing (45#). I was thinking about picking up either an E7-120 or E8-130 for singles use now which she may eventually double up. Which of these two tanks would be a better choice? Or or both of these overwhelming for her size? Unfortunately, no shops around here rent those PST models.

While we're on that topic, which of those tanks would be more suitable for a male about 5'9" diving the same conditions and setup?

Thank you!

Why do you consider two out of three largest available PST cylinders for a petite lady? Probably something smaller is in order, particularly for shore dives.
For a 5'9" guy for shore dives I would suggest E7-100.

That said, some folks are much stronger than others and/or can use their strength more efficiently (comes with experience)
I've seen small women lugging heavy doubles with ease and tall and big guys succumbing to the weight of an AL80.

koi:

Like I said in the first part of my post, you should look at the type of diving you'll be doing to decide on the tanks you purchase.

Is she HONESTLY planning on doing rec dives to 120' or technical dives past 120'? If rec, a slightly bigger tank would be fine, if tech, doubles are a good idea, but we still come back to the weight issue on shore dives.

Ben

You should fire off a PM to FreeFloat on this. She's about the same size and her tanks almost taller than she is. Warning, she's a self admitted hard core diving enthusiast!

Dave

Lemonade -

considered the larger PST tanks because there isn't a price difference on the E7-120 vs E8-130. Although from the specs, they do seem huge.

Gator -

As she gains experience, she would like to go deeper and take technical training when the time comes. Athough as MechDiver mentioned, that will probably entail going to doubles. In this case, it would be nice to be able to save some money and use one of the tanks as part of the doubles set.

The 120 and 130 will be a PITA to schlep around on shore dives. However, she will eventually do a mix of shore and boat dives. At the moment, she's sticking to shore to become more experienced.

It does sound like she will end up having to spring for different sets of tanks though.

Thanks all for the input!

My wife is also 5'2". She loves her PST E7-80's.
When we dive deep wrecks (grove/duanne) she wears one of my E7-100's for the extra air. Anything bigger than that she would have to leave in the water & let the boat crew haul it out.

Back
Top Bottom