Corrosion First stage inlet filter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed a bit of green corrosion on the inlet filter of my first stage. The regulator works perfectly. Probably done 30 dives on it. I know this is probably due you water getting in.
Is there anyway of cleaning the corrosion off the filter? Alternatively, do I need to get replaced?
It looks like it is relatively easy to remove the retaining clip.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It needs to be replaced. They are meant to discolor, to show a warning of water ingress...because you can't otherwise see inside your regulator. If the filter shows water ingress, you probably need to get your 1st stage inspected. Water inside the first stage is a bad thing..Replacing the water tarnished filter, but not inspecting/ servicing the 1st stage could be dangerous and could lead to more damage inside the 1st stage. Dont let water get inside the 1st stage. The cost of a service is normally sufficient motivation to keep it dry in the future... :wink:

It needs to be replaced. They are meant to discolor, to show a warning of water ingress...because you can't otherwise see inside your regulator. If the filter shows water ingress, you probably need to get your 1st stage inspected. Water inside the first stage is a bad thing..Replacing the water tarnished filter, but not inspecting/ servicing the 1st stage could be dangerous and could lead to more damage inside the 1st stage. Dont let water get inside the 1st stage. The cost of a service is normally sufficient motivation to keep it dry in the future... :wink:
Probably will use my other set and get this one serviced.

A few photos,

88b7ebeb9378afc56c9f63403416bcd5.jpg

da26f32a03c88bff584cd2dd94957b14.jpg

d8cd9f3a39e57a2e489fd7953604a2ef.jpg

1d7d993655797a9c09f48aba944994b9.jpg

I have noticed a bit of green corrosion on the inlet filter of my first stage. The regulator works perfectly. Probably done 30 dives on it. I know this is probably due you water getting in.
Is there anyway of cleaning the corrosion off the filter? Alternatively, do I need to get replaced?
It looks like it is relatively easy to remove the retaining clip.

Thanks in advance.

I do not think it is my after dive cleaning, as I have a few regulator sets and my oldest one, has been used for over 2 years without any sign of corrosion on the filter.
My first thought was that the dust cover is not sealing correctly when I rinse. It seems it is made of a much harder rubber than my old one. Secondly, does anyone think this could be caused by moisture in rental tanks?

The filter is one of the parts that should be switched out during a standard service.

I'd agree that you need to get this done but also agree that 30 dives is not that many.

Are you sure you are blowing the dust cap so that there is no salt water on it before putting it back over the filter?

I do not blow the dust cap to ensure no mist can get into the first stage. I wipe it with a wet wipe, and then dry it with a towel. My other two regs still have perfectly clean filters. I have always done it this way.

I do not think it is my after dive cleaning, as I have a few regulator sets and my oldest one, has been used for over 2 years without any sign of corrosion on the filter.
My first thought was that the dust cover is not sealing correctly when I rinse. It seems it is made of a much harder rubber than my old one. Secondly, does anyone think this could be caused by moisture in rental tanks?

If you use all you regs with rental cylinders you can discount them as being the cause.

Does the dust cap have a good 'O' ring?

If you are boat diving, it is not uncommon for spray from the boat to get the tanks wet. It is possible for a drop of water to get into the top of the valve and remain there until it is forced into the get when you install the reg. It is a very good idea to crack open a tank valve for a second before installing the reg to blow out any trapped water.

I have a suspicious feeling this might have occurred on my dive trip a few months ago. Now that I think about it, the divemaster changed my tanks a few times.

Regarding rented tanks, I would think that one bad tank could do it?

Back
Top Bottom