Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal view is I would like to see AI included in their product offering, I was reading a post today about how the new compass feature on the Peridx is excellent and when comparing the Perdix to my current dive computer (Galileo Luna) the Luna just feels so big, bulky and outdated. I would be very tempted to change to the Shearwater but I do like my AI feature on the Luna and not being a technical diver (yet) I also like the fact I don't need to dive with another hose on my set up just for the SPG.

So its a yes from me!.

Most experienced divers don't need gas consumption broken down to that level of detail. If you are planning to end the dive with adequate reserves for both you an your teammate then calculations based on whether your RMV was 0.4 or 0.6 during the course of the dive are pretty much useless. Unless you plan to suck your tanks dry why would you ever need that level of precision.

I mostly agree, and that is exactly why I want to do it. I like studying my air consumption in different situations as a scientific approach to increase my experience. I have recently become an instructor and I find it interesting to see how my air consumption changes when I am responsible for students or helping them out with problems.

I like to develop as a diver, and I don't think my experience is about to be "complete" any time soon. In fact my opinion is that it never will be. If you are done learning about your air consumption, then an air integrated computer won't tell you anything you don't already know. In fact, neither will your pressure gauge.

Besides, looking at my SAC rates during dives after dives is just plain fun for me. Since when did "need" dictate what dive equipment you should have?

That is where the two types diving on the equipment side separate. On the technical side you only dive with what you need to minimize any chance of failure. I still keep my profile written on a slate just incase I have a duel computer failure. Ever piece of equipment has a purpose. In recreational diving there is nothing wrong at all with having you want and is a convince. The shearwater computers a built for technical diving and they became popular because they had just what was needed. Yes they have added a recreational mode, I have used it once to try it out. The compass is an addition that is necessary as there are times in technical diving where we have to use one. Saying that there is more than one in the team so there is still redundancy so if one fails some one else can still navigate. The shearwater computers are great for technical diving they are the best out there, that doesn't mean they are the best for recreational diving. There are better computers for that and to take the petral and change everything to compete with the top recreational computers means you would negate what made it a good technical computer in the first place.

That is where the two types diving on the equipment side separate. On the technical side you only dive with what you need to minimize any chance of failure. . . .

Why must diving with only what one needs be a "technical side" principle? I am a rec diver, and I believe in that principle. One of my goals toward maximizing my diving enjoyment is to get rid of stuff I don't need, not add more. It's not so much about minimizing failure--though that's certainly one advantage--but more about having less stuff to distract me, less stuff to maintain, etc. I try to maintain this philosophy in my non-diving endeavors, too: Get rid of stuff I don't need that's just taking up space in my closet, that I have to maintain, that I have to pack up and move, etc.

I think the divergence is between gear-heads who want more gear, more data, more automation, etc., and those of us who want to "simplify, simplify." If I can dive safely without seeing some bit of data or seeing it quite so frequently, then that lets me focus that much more on what's around me.

I believe the word "need" in this discussion is loaded and not very useful. We all of us WANT to do a particular kind of dive, and carefully select gear we feel will enable us to achieve that kind of dive.

There is NEED and there is HOW.

The NEED is to know your gas supply.

The HOW has evolved, from J valves, to SPG, to AI

"HOW" with an SPG = unclip, lift, look, clip. Slow, and encumbers a hand. Interferes with use of camera, gun, or scooter, interferes with holding on to line or other support in a current. This must be worked around by learning still other skills (ie how to hold on with one hand, or with the crook of your elbow, etc, all while not dropping your camera/gun/scooter) to solve this equipment problem. Sure, it can be done, did it for years, learned it well.

"HOW" with AI = well, there is no "how" No gear location to learn, no manipulation techniques to learn, no "additional techniques-to-compensate-for-the-manipulation-techniques" to learn. It's just there, every time you see your depth or time. No distraction and no interference with anything. It is better hands down

I appreciate that the "muscle memory" crowd loses a pride point because what they learned and practiced and worked so hard to make easy over the years is just not needed anymore. They can call themselves "more involved" divers or "more concentrated" divers or "more active" divers or just "more something" divers because they can lift an spg, In the real world, of course, this is not only not true but actually funny, but, hey, "we know how and you don't" is a good mantra for standing out.

In the real world, I am more concentrated on the dive with one less needless task to do. Kind of like when I switched from my J-valve to an spg. Kind of like when I switched from my manual inflate horsecollar to a LP inflated BC..Kind of like when I got an octopus. Kind of like when I got a dive computer.

Oh, wait, these were "equipment solutions to skill deficits" and just showed what a bad diver I was.

By The way, LOVE THE NEW LOOK FOR THE BOARD!!

Ok, lets get to it, NO diver really "needs" a computer... a depth gauge, watch and tables will work for rec or tec but both types of divers want a computer, a device to make their diving safer and easier, one that fits their wish list and many believe Shearwater is probably the best available today and some of those are recreational divers that would like it to include AI. What's the big deal?

Will not having a Shearwater with AI hurt the recreational dive community? NO.
BUT...
Will having a Shearwater with AI hurt the technical dive community? NO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom