Anyone using a Panasonic GH4 Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmrobbins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is anyone using this camera for underwater video? I'm looking for something with versatility for video above and below the surface. New to professional level gear underwater and have been shooting with a GoPro Hero4. Been a serious hobbyist still photographer for several years now and have prior video production experience.

I have my eyes on Nauticam housing and WWL-1 wet lens for this body. Is anyone using it? Would very much appreciate some direction from someone with personal experience with this camera and or housing.

Have used this camera and housing combo on professional shoots and it has worked great. We use it alot for B camera work or when a smaller video camera is needed as the primaries we use are normally a bit larger.

We have a review of the GH4 and the GH4 with the Oly 7-14mm lens written by Margo up in our review section with some videos. I just used the E-PL7 and 14-42mmEZ with the WWL and it works out pretty well, full zoom through. A bit heavy in the water, but a few floats evened it out.

Nauticam GH4 Review
GH4 with Oly 7-14mm Review

View attachment 356807
Here's a test shot with the WWL. I'll have a review soon on this combo...

Jack

I've gone full circle with my GH4 for wide angle underwater videography, from kitting it out with a 170mm dome and the 7-14mm and 60mm for macro - I'm now back with the 'kit' lens...

Without doubt the 14-42mm (MK II) with the CMC and WWL is a powerfully versatile 'rig'

One minute you can be really wide for the establishing shots (with the WWL), you can remove the WWL, then you've got a nice AoV for diver close ups or bigger fish etc (at 14mm - 35mm eqv underwater), you can zoom to the other end to get close ups, or slip on the CMC and get some extreme macro stuff.

All this with a optically stabilised lens in a relatively compact package. Granted the WWL is heavy.

I've gone full circle with my GH4 for wide angle underwater videography, from kitting it out with a 170mm dome and the 7-14mm and 60mm for macro - I'm now back with the 'kit' lens...

Without doubt the 14-42mm (MK II) with the CMC and WWL is a powerfully versatile 'rig'

One minute you can be really wide for the establishing shots (with the WWL), you can remove the WWL, then you've got a nice AoV for diver close ups or bigger fish etc (at 14mm - 35mm eqv underwater), you can zoom to the other end to get close ups, or slip on the CMC and get some extreme macro stuff.

All this with a optically stabilised lens in a relatively compact package. Granted the WWL is heavy.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the
"CMC and WWL?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom