Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adingler

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fellow scuba lovers:

I need some help. I've had an underwater housing kit that I'm considering selling and I'm not sure what a good asking price would be.

I want to sell my housing unit and my strobe (not the actual camera). Here are the details and links of the respective products:

Ikelite housing unit for a Panasonic LX5
http://www.ikelite.com/housings/panasonic/6171.05-panasonic-lx5.html

Ikelite DS51 TTL Strobe, Sync cord, & Ball Arm Mark II Kit
http://www.ikelite.com/lighting/4044.31-ds51-strobe-kit.html

I would like to sell all the products as a package. I purchased everything brand new about 3.5 years ago. I've taken the kit on about 20 dives and have been extremely careful with the equipment - everything is in pristine condition. The o-rings have been properly lubricated and stored. I've also never let the batteries sit in the strobe (they've been stored separately at all times). After diving, I always immediately cleaned the equipment in fresh water and then carefully dried it using a light-pressured hose connected to a cylinder (this ensures no water stays trapped inside components of the housing unit, but is also very gentle so as not to not damage the equipment. Almost like a no-heat hair-dryer).

Any help would be appreciated! I simply want to sell because I'm not at a time in my life where I can go diving as much as I'd like.

Thank you.

The price for the housing is $595 new and the strobe is $400 new. That means $1000 for both. Selling them used (and old at this time) I would be ecstatic if I could get $650 for them at this time.
Bill

You can go on eBay and see what these have actually sold for (not just what they are being offered for). The strobe for sure will have some recent sales and still holds a good resale value last time I checked. The housing may or may not be something with any recent sales history.

From what I've observed, unless the housing is for a camera that still holds interest - this one may not be one of those - you'll be lucky to get much at all for it. However, if you are willing to wait, don't discount luck.

I'd offer the package for an optimistic price, based on eBay price research, and also offer the strobe for an aggressive price. If you get lucky on either one, great. My expectation is that you'll do better by splitting the package, especially if you want this to be done with quickly. In that case you're more likely to have to discount the housing moreso than the strobe and bundling them will just cut way down on buyers who would otherwise pay up for the strobe. Do mention the strobe availability in the camera listing, in case someone with the LX5 wants a strobe as well. It's not uncommon to get a hit from someone who thinks this is just the thing they've been waiting for, and will pay accordingly for the package, but it can take some time for that to work, so you have to decide between price and timeframe.

Your best best will be on eBay, not SB, but put it here as well, just in case you get lucky.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks for all the help everyone! I have been doing lots of research on Ebay.

I really appreciate the thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom