Bare XSC2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Bare XSC2. I tried one on and I really liked the fit except that it was a back zip, and the Tzip seemed to be a nice feature. Getting it on and off was a breeze compared to my Fusion

My Fusion is fine, but my shoulder flexibility has got to the point where I struggle to get into it and I can only reach the dump with one or two fingers, and aside from being a damn nuisance, it could create a bad situation. The Fusion dump is just too far back on the arm for me. I've even considered putting on a forearm dump. Bares tend to be a little too far forward, but that would be far better.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience, good/bad with the XSC2 Tech. There have been a couple of posts, but nothing recent.

I've had one for 2 years, at first I had problsm with the tape on the inside of the seams coming off but Bare fixed that (lifetime warranty on seams). I've put about 200 dives on it since then, it's been a reliable suit.

While I have never dove one personally, there are quite a few regular patrons around the shop that dive them. The general consensus is that it's a solid suit that doesn't have very many maintenance issues outside of the norm(seals, zipper after a number of years of active diving etc..).

We are curious to know how it works out for you.

I'm considering an XCS2 Tech to replace a Fusion. I hoping that a neoprene suit would be measurably warmer in the water than a shell suit like the Fusion, i.e. I could wear a thinner undergarment for the same water temp.

But I'm wondering if 2mm compressed neoprene really offers any warmth advantage, or is it just a more durable version of a shell suit? Anyone have firsthand experience with this? Tnx

It absolutely does! It will do just as you are hoping and give a LOT more warmth than your Fusion!

Where are you currently diving and what are you wearing with your Fusion on an average dive?

I dive in Ohio quarries, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Toby, and under ice. Saint Clair River dives, hunting, (unsuccessfully so far), for relics. I've been on several wrecks in the St Lawrence.
In the winter I wear Thermal Fusion undies and alpaca socks if it's cold water. In summer, a track suit, or if the water is above 65, just a T and shorts.
Oddly enough the coldest water I've run into so far was in July on the Belle Island Wrecks in Newfoundland.

It's the only dry suit I've used, by I really like my XCS2 Tech. I especially like that I can put it on and take it off all by myself and then tease my buddies while I'm helping them with their suit zippers, etc..

I can't compare it to any other suit, but it sure seems like I don't have to wear that much underneath it to be comfortable in, for example, 38 degree quarry water.

ps. Being able to take a whiz during a SI without having to take any part of the suit off - just open the main zipper - is also nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom