Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was considerable water movement in the shallows of Point Lobos. At depth around Beto's Reef, it was quite calm and we had a hazy 30-35ft. Likewise around Lone Metridium, it was fairly protected. I was surprised that I didn't have more turbulence at Granite Point Wall. Even on the backside, it was okay. The top of middle reef felt like a roller coaster. Stay away from the center of Middle Reef. Explore its borders but do not go over it, less you fancy a "sporty" back/forth tug of war with the surge. Spoke to fellow divers that went all the way to Twin Peaks in 150-170ft of water. Of course, it was lake calm at those depth. Monastery looked divable as I arrived around 8:30AM. By the time I left in the afternoon, the surf had picked up considerably to the point where an ill timed entry/exit would have been dangerous.

Did 2 dives at the Breakwater on Saturday, Jan 16th. Wave models had been way up earlier in the week, but they were trending down for the weekend so we decided to give it a try. We had some new-ish divers in our group of 7 and we decided to give the Breakwater Wall a visit. (It's been quite a while since most of us had been diving there.)

We were pleasantly surprised to find very clear water in the shallows. From the surface we spotted the anchor sticking out of the sand just past #5 on the wall and when we descended around #8, we could see the bottom from the surface (about 30 feet down).

Horizontal viz underwater was closer to the usual not-so-clear 15 feet, but we weren't looking for great vistas anyway. Some of us made it to the end of the Breakwater and were entertained by a bunch of sea lions. Along the way out and back we spotted a good-sized cabezon and some ling cod. Saw a tiny (live!) abalone, and also a larger one under a big rock. Tried to feed it some kelp but it didn't appear interested. Also saw quite a few good-sized scallops, some crabs, and lots and lots of nudibranchs.

We had some sunshine at the end of the first dive, but then it clouded up again. Exiting after the second dive we noticed a lot more energy in the water and some bigger waves, but everyone got out ok. Depending on whose dive computer you looked at, water temp was anywhere from 51 to 55 degrees. And since we only got to about 45 feet, several of us had dive times of over an hour. So 2 really nice dives.

Diving the Breakwater.... It's Not Just for Classes!

Thanks for the report bjd, been years since I dove out there... one of these days for sure; just need to hook-up with a buddy.

Dive date: 1/21/16 8:18 PM
Duration: 1h:27min
Dive location: Del Monte Wharf
Buddy: Bruce Sudweeks

Calm before the storm sneakin dive. Delmonte wharf was flat on top but had little current running at the bottom. Vis was all over the dam place, and it was kind of stired up with heavy partilculates... best obsorved was proable 25ft.

I love Del Monte Wharf. It's hard finding anyone who wants to dive this site. Great Macro.

Anyone been to Lobos in the last couple of days? I'm heading down tomorrow. The wave prediction looks sketchy, but I'm meeting a group and hope for at least one dive. I'm wondering how the viz has been?

Two fun dives at Lobos today with the good friend who inspired me to return to diving and a group of his friends. No equipment problems at all---drysuit & camera cases stayed dry, hooray! The wave forecast looked like it might get sketchy as the day wore on, but it actually improved.

First dive: Hole in the Wall. Viz 20 to 40 feet. Water temperature 56F to 58F. Fairly high tide with a bit of a swell and lots of wind chop. Max depth 64 feet, 41 minutes. We kicked out 'til it got too bumpy for the visitors and headed for Hole in the Wall. After everyone got video of each other through the hole we headed back in the rock channels checking out the fish---lingcod, sheephead & assorted rockfish, etc.

Second Dive: Surface swam about 3/4 across Whaler's, then dropped, dove to the Coal Chute Caves, then back across Whaler's. Vis 20+ feet. Water temp 56 to 58F. Max depth 38 feet, 55 minutes. The surface was glassy, with a little surge at times. The caves themselves were calm & an easy dive. More lings, a nice ball of blue rockfish to film, and a sheephead that ducked into a small cave while I was filming it, then popped back out for more video.

Dove North Monastery today. Water was green near shore due to river. A short distance it improved greatly. At the canyon we had 40-50ft vis with a huge school of Blues. So glad I got to dive before the swell picks up again. Second dive was Breakwater wall and vis was 20. Both dive sites had blue water.

3D - I saw you this morning!! Your red drysuit sure stands out :)
Wifebuddy and I were doing a drysuit clinic - 1 dive at the Worm Patch, 35ft max, 66min, 55F, 30-40ft viz. The ebb tide was really picking up as we were returning.

Back
Top Bottom