Cedar key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wilderness Dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
looking for dives in cedar key. We will be down the first of February. I'm from michigan and have plenty of experience partner is newby. I know the springs in the area but not reefs. Would like to get some gulf sights around 50'.

Only crazy people and professional spearo's get wet in saltwater near Cedar Key in February.
You are going to be there at the time of year of VERY cold water.
I do not think there are any boats running scheduled "Coral Reef" dive trips that kind of year.
And the seas are typically rough then from the hard west winds that time of year in the Gulf.

Chug
Overdue for a Cedar Key trip.

Should I bring my ice gear?

Thanks chug and jimw for the heads up. I dove in superior last summer and I ve done a couple ice dives. Cold is not an issue. Rough seas might be different, I wana be safe.

If you can equip and handle the cold, then you are good.
I do not think you can find much in the way of a "Dive Charter" up there this time of year.
I am certain that there is a boat up there that will take you out,
But you might be alone on the boat, and it will not be cheap.
Have you considered making a run down to Jupiter?
We dive all year down here.

Chug
Draws the line at 67°F.

Chugg, I've done charter drift dives in the past from west palm 3 or 4 times. After driving from mi just not excited about further driving. I will keep it in mind though. Do you run charters? Your just n of there right.

I live about 45 miles south of Jupiter.
I get up there a few times a year typically.
If you are really wanting salty-water diving when you are here, but would prefer to avoid a long drive from Cedar Key, I would look into the Clearwater, St Pete area.
I expect that there are a few boats running around in the winter there.
You can place the same query right here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/the-greater-tampa-bay-area.544/
That would be "left coast" local knowledge,
Although there really has not been very much activity on that section of the board for quite somet ime.
Maybe somebody will see it and be able to help you.
Good luck to you.

Chug
Has only scalloped on the Left Coast.

...I would look into the Clearwater, St Pete area......

Saying " Viz Sucked " last weekend there would be generous. Better bring a rod & reel as a backup plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom