Buddy Keeps Kicking Me in the FACE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty, do you buy seafood at the grocery store?

Is it spearfishing in general you have a problem with or spearfishing on scuba?

I must admit i don't eat fish anymore, my guilty pleasure is calamari.

Spear fishing with scuba equipment is my problem, reminds me of a certain dentist, you know stacking the odds so much in your favor that there's no challenge, skill or discipline.

on a side note, i can't believe the balanced rig and buoyancy nazis haven't lambasted this video.

Spear fishing with scuba equipment is my problem, reminds me of a certain dentist, you know stacking the odds so much in your favor that there's no challenge, skill or discipline.

on a side note, i can't believe the balanced rig and buoyancy nazis haven't lambasted this video.

Ok, Rusty. I'll bite. Hate to do it to you, but I have to take you to task on this one. I can't stand when someone tells someone else how to harvest a fish.

There is absolutely zero difference in the end result of harvesting a fish from hook and line, spearfishing while free diving or spearfishing while scuba diving. A dead fish, is a dead fish. If your argument is there is no skill spearfishing on scuba then I would counter that there is a hell of a lot less skill in hook and line. I can catch just about any fish on a child's Mickey Mouse toy rod and reel. I can catch a hell of a lot more fish on hook and line in a day than I can spearfishing. Probably kill a lot more too from blowing out their swim bladders. It sucks to watch short fish just float away dead because they were unable to be revived despite venting efforts. So are you against hook and line since it takes less skill than spearfishing? No matter what type of fishing someone does, the real skill is in finding the fish, not how they're harvested.

Now, if you told me you don't eat any seafood, don't buy it at the market or restaurant and are against harvesting fish, I could respect your opinion. The problem I have is you eat calamari. Which is caught with nets, which likely results in tons of wasted bycatch. For anyone else reading this who thinks personally harvesting a fish is wrong, yet they purchase seafood from the market or restaurant, are themselves the problem. If Jim or myself harvests one fish to feed our families, guess how many fish died? Yep, one. If you purchased one fish at the market or one order of calamari at a restaurant, how many fish and other marine animals died or were wasted/spoiled? A lot more than what you're consuming. My position is this: "If you want to eat seafood, you earn it! We don't have control over reproduction supply like we do over cows, pigs and chickens."

I would also be curious to know if you have ever spearfished before. I'll admit stoning an average sized Hogfish is not much of a challenge. They're a rather dumb fish. But if you think there is no risk or skill in shooting a big Cobia or Greater Amberjack on scuba then you simply don't understand how powerful these fish are or don't understand spearfishing. The other challenge with spearfishing on scuba is having good accuracy, hitting a fish within a few inches to stone them and quick reaction time. If you're blowing bubbles as you descend on a ledge you may only have a few seconds to react before the fish are spooked and move off the site. Just ask a rebreather or breath hold spearfisherman about the difference in fish behavior. Much easier to get a shot off those two ways than it is blowing bubbles. I had a rebreather tell me, "It's great when you bubble blowers leave because you're low on air. As soon as you're gone all the fish come back." Hook and line, no problem, the fish aren't going anywhere, they don't even see me coming. I could clear out a ledge in 30 minutes. Which of course I don't. Avid sportsman tend to be more conservationist and "practice" sustainability, compared to many who just post about it while ordering sushi at dinner.

End rant.... Here's a more enjoyable video to uplift my negative tone in this post.

Last edited:
The hell with all this pro/con spearfishing babble.

I wanna catch a 40" bill red!!!

I wanna catch the girl in the blue bikini.....
Jim...

Spearfishing is the DIR of fishing techniques... low bycatch, low impact to environment. :D

I am curious what you saw that would prompt comments about a "balanced rig"?

What was the water temp????

Clearly I need more experience estimating current! I thought for sure you'd say it was 2.5 at least.
I'd ballpark it at about 1 knot current on the bottom. Of course it depends on how close to the bottom we are talking. Touching the bottom, the water isn't moving at all. :D

The water temp was maybe 74 and the current on the bottom was maybe 3/4 to 1 kt would be my estimate.

I loaded this raw video from my kid's head cam. I thought it might be interesting to some people to see how easy it is to get separated in a current. There is no way I can swim upcurrent when pulling the float.

In the beginning of the clip, it shows me pulling the hook off the bottom and the float (35 lbs of lift) had been pulled underwater a little, so when the hook is released from the bottom, you have the tension from the float ascending and from the faster current on the surface.

He yelled to me initially, but I guess I didn't hear him. He catches one bug in one hand and tries to get another and misses, then he has to carry the lobster (since i have the catch bag) and on the way back he makes a nice shot with a long gun... swinging it in a strong current with one hand.

This is a nice porgy, about as big as i have ever seen in our area.

Very nice video! Do you use anything other than a "normal" gopro headband to keep your camera in place? Mine seems to want to come off. I would have lost it with the first fin kick!

The bull sharks get crazy off of Panama City, especially if there has been a good hunt.

The stock Go-pro head band is worthless...I added a chin strap with a fastex buckle and some truck inner tube. or steal the rigging off the kids bicycle helmet. another option is to wear a hood over the head band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom