Port Closed This Morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The port was closed yesterday and today. I have been here 3'weeks and have seen warranted port closures. One day I thought it was iffy and it opened.

Of course people people only want to talk bad about the new harbor master. I think he is doing a good job. But god forbid anyone gives him any credit ,only when he doesn't do what they want . I hear no chirping now.

Just checked the cam to see if I could spot my friends that arriving today. Didn't see them but did see one of SCC's boat pull up to the dock. I would guess it is now open.

I have been there twice in January, once in December and once in August. Didn't lose any days in August or December, definitely lost some in January. January is an awesome month to not be in Minnesota and a pretty cheap month in Coz so will likely put up with some more non-dive days in the future.

How does one find out if the harbor is open/closed? Do we need to check with the dive shop early in the day?

Is it open today?

How does one find out if the harbor is open/closed? Do we need to check with the dive shop early in the day?
The harbourmaster seems to make his decision between about 7:15 and 7:30, give or take. But sometimes it is obvious. Other times, the guy I dive with has made his own call to me, without waiting for the harbourmaster to call it...just says that he doesn't care what the harbourmaster says...he's not going to go out in those conditions. Make sure you have some way to contact your dive op and that their communication is good with customers.

The harbourmaster seems to make his decision between about 7:15 and 7:30, give or take. But sometimes it is obvious. Other times, the guy I dive with has made his own call to me, without waiting for the harbourmaster to call it...just says that he doesn't care what the harbourmaster says...he's not going to go out in those conditions. Make sure you have some way to contact your dive op and that their communication is good with customers.

Yes, communication with the dive shop is very important. There have been a couple times when I was in Cozumel in February and the port was closed first thing in the morning, but conditions improved allowing for the port to open up by 10:00 or 10:30 am the same day. Our group was able to take advantage and get our day's dives in because our dive op contacted us and let us know.

Back
Top Bottom