Tough decisions I must make...The first? Stay in the Mayan or Cozumel

Stay in the Mayan or Cozumel?

• Mayan

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Cozumel

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And probably the only time you will hear something like that. Thousands of people use the ferrys to cross from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel and back and forth everyday, I've yet to see anybody seasick, nor a single person vomit, maybe it happens, but to say a huge number of people get seasick and are throwing up on the ferry? Never seen it in all the years I've been on them.

Good point about being sick while flying! I won't let the fear of feeding the fish from the ferry keep me from making the trip!

Ya, the ferry is loud, smokey and a huge portion of the passengers are throwing up. Happens every trip. It's a really unpleasant experience.

And that would be why you joined the Army and not the Navy ;-)

You got that right! Then again....my tank was pretty smoky too.

Oh no, dare I ask about the one dive at Barracuda Reef?.

OOhhhhh, you can ask (LOL). It was a dark and stormy nite........

But for real. It was two trips back about 7 years ago. I was with my usual two dive buddies, a husband and wife team. The husband had received a reverse block the second dive of this trip and spent four hours in the chamber. He didn't dive again this trip. A couple days later his wife and I were making a dive on Barracuda Reef with the usual Aldora six pack. The DM, I don't remember his name but he was with Aldora, decided it was swift but diveable. Bad decision on his part.

We all splashed in and went to depth. Got to depth and the current was blindingly fast. The dive was actually hard work. The group was getting blown all over the reef. I blow out my BC and got very negative and latched onto t section of the reef to collect myself. I checked and had all my gear. But at the speed everyone was moving there was no way to keep up with the group. I spotted a turtle holding onto a sponge for dear life about 3 feet way from me. We made eye contact and exchanged that knowing look between two individuals that both know they are both in crazy crap. It was almost funny really. Something out of horror movie.

At that point, I said screw this. I inflated and terminated the dive. I could see my dive buddy was still with the main group. Since we have dove together many times I knew she would know I had aborted the dive when she no longer saw me with the group. So I had no worry about buddy separation search protocol.

I made my way to 15', sent up my SMB, pulled a couple minutes of safety stop and ascended to the surface. Got picked up by our boat and waited for the rest to come to my same conclusion. Which took about 15 minutes. And everyone was low on air too due to trying to out swim the current.

This was the first of two times I have had to ascend and pull my time by myself in Coz. Thank God for big SMB's baby!!!! The second time was this last trip and the last DM and my two buddies caught up to me. We could have gone up together, BUT, my computer was telling me I had to pull 11 minutes of deco and my gas running low I went up by myself. Not a problem I'm trained for it. And I kept the DM and dive buddies in sight and when they started up we made contact with each other by flashlight. And this was a DAY dive. Another reason I ALWAYS dive with at least one light and one knife. B.

Back
Top Bottom