SMB Deploy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a 7' SMB on a spool that I've been practicing with deploying from depth. One of the issues I've noticed is that it's pretty difficult to get the SMB to stand up without putting all my weight on the line. It's great if I'm sitting at a safety stop because I can empty my BC and hang on the line and the SMB stands up fine, but if I'm coming up from depth, even with an empty BC it doesn't stand up. The SMB is filling up completely with air, and probably letting some air out as it surfaces, so it's not a fill issue.

I was thinking about adding some weight to the bottom of the SMB to help it stand up, opinions? I'm pretty sure it being a 7' SMB is the reason it won't stand up, but I don't really want to buy another SMB!

Yes, a 7' smb takes a fair bit of air, but if you are at a significant depth, the expansion should fill it sufficiently. Make sure you pull down and wrap a couple feet on your reel so the bottom stays under water.

Sadly, a 7' open bottom smb has limited uses and are challenging to learn on. Without spending too much money, you could find a HOG 3 or 4' smb for about $20.

Hot Special 45" Inch Tall ORANGE Hog SMB .."Closed bottom Smb"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 7' SMB on a spool that I've been practicing with deploying from depth. One of the issues I've noticed is that it's pretty difficult to get the SMB to stand up without putting all my weight on the line. It's great if I'm sitting at a safety stop because I can empty my BC and hang on the line and the SMB stands up fine, but if I'm coming up from depth, even with an empty BC it doesn't stand up. The SMB is filling up completely with air, and probably letting some air out as it surfaces, so it's not a fill issue.

I was thinking about adding some weight to the bottom of the SMB to help it stand up, opinions? I'm pretty sure it being a 7' SMB is the reason it won't stand up, but I don't really want to buy another SMB!

Normally, the open-ended DSMB's I've seen have weights built into them. If they don't then add one yourself. An old 500g ankle weight should do the job. Even if that amount of weight won't make it "stand up", it will at least cause a kink in the blob and avoid air spilling out if it's laying flat on the surface.

As for getting it to fill up, there are several options.

- By far the easiest DSMB's to work with have their own little cylinder attached. Open the cylinder and *poof* It's full every time from any depth.
- There are closed systems that have a nipple for an LP inflator but made so it won't catch. Just push the LP inflator on it and *poof* away it goes. I've never heard of anyone having issues with the inflator getting hung up on the nipple but it doesn't seem impossible to me, so I personally don't see these as a good option for myself. However, this is what "decompression" linked. They exist and again I have no experience with them so you'll have to ask someone who does.
- There are semi-closed systems taht fill like an open ended DSMB but have a one-way valve in bottom so whatever air gets in, stays in. There is no danger of it dumping air if it lays flat on the surface but there is a certain finesse involved in getting them full from shallow depths. This is what I have.
- And then there are the open-ended ones. I have one of these too but only use it for training in OW because you can attach a line to the top of it and pull it back under so the student can practice over-and-over without having to surface each time. In real world applications, I believe open-ended DSMB's are pretty much useless.

R..

If its an open bottom once it tips over at the surface it will lose its air. I have a 6 foot one that is closed, I just keep good tension on the line as I come up and do not have to many issues. It is going to flop over at times, but in that last 20 feet to the surface it should not be to hard to keep it upright, and really that is when it is key.

I have an open bottom smb and I have no problem filling it, and it doesn't seem to lose any air when it's on its side. I have an octo inflator combo so II dump the air from my BC into it and then let the octo part free flow into . Works great, it always fills up completely.

I just need a lot of pressure to keep it standing. Any time I don't have my full weight on it, it falls over. Not very useful when I'm surfacing! I guess it's good for the duration of my safety stop. I have tried going in overweighted but it didn't help much.

The other thing is that I have a spool with a closed design so I can't wrap the cord around itit, I need to actually wind it up with a the little knob, which is challenging. I'm wondering if this could be my problem.

Say you deploy the smb from 50 feet, should you dump your BC and pull yourself up using the line? If you don't do that, how can you put enough pressure to keep it standing?

Just wear enough lead to hang from it. Weighting the smb is going to do nothing. Think 1 lb will hold up a 7 ft smb? No way. If it is rough and windy, then it will fall over from the wind - pretty much no matter what.

I prefer a semi-closed circuit bag. Some of them have the option of being filled a BC inflator hose, using a non-locking QD fitting on the SMB. I've used a 9" BC hose on a Mk 10 stage bottle regulator. The hose normally rests along the side of the tank and when launching the SMB, I can flip the hose forward on the rotating turret and then use it to inflate the bag off the remaining gas in my stage bottle with my travel gas in it.

If I'm not carrying a stage, I fill it using my primary second stage. If you've got a closed circuit SMB, that's not an option and you'll need a BC hose with enough length to let you fill the SMB far enough in front of you to prevent any entanglements.

-----

Divers have been bent like pretzels and killed getting drug up with a lift bag or SMB on dives with significant decompression obligations, so you want to place your primary focus on ensuring nothing snags the SMB or reel during the launch. You also want to be sure that you can release a reel if it jams. I avoid reels with the locking screw on the front as the SMB will snake and corkscrew it's way to the surface and as such the velocity isn't constant. The sudden change in line speed coming off the reel can throw small loops of line that can loop around a front mounted locking screw and jam the reel.

At shallower launch depths a finger spool is a good option, as they are almost jam proof and if they do jam and you release it (or lose your grip on it), the odds are that it will ascend a few feet, clear it self, and then just dance around a bit as the line unspool, allowing you to recover it once the bag is on the surface.

-----

A 7' , large diameter SMB is nice in rough seas, particularly if you are live boat diving.

However, you need to shoot them from depth and you need to have enough negative buoyancy to be able to hang on it hard enough to keep it vertical once it is on the surface to get full benefit of the large size.

If you fill a 7' 50 pound SMB, like the one sold by XS Scuba, coming off a wreck at 180'-200', you've got the advantage of 6.5-7 ATM to help fill the bag, so you only need to put about 7 pounds of gas in the SMB. That's pretty easy to do OC by just exhaling and using lung volume to maintain neutral buoyancy as the SMB is filled.

If you have the even larger 7', 90 pound bag, you're going to need to put about 13 pounds of gas in it, which will mean finning down as well as exhaling if you want to maintain neutral buoyancy. Finning down can be problematic as it makes it harder to keep the SMB and reel out in front of you and clear of any entanglements. In that case, you might prefer to dump a few pounds of lift from your wing and fin upward until the SMB starts to fill.

If you're launching a 90 pound bag from 100' you've got a significant challenge as you now need to get about 22 pounds of gas in the SMB to fully inflate it, and that's not likely to happen. You're going to have a partially inflated SMB until you reach the surface to finish the job. In this case the narrower 7', 50 pound SMB is a better choice as it will only need a much more manageable 12.5 pounds of gas.

Perfect horizontal trim looks cool, but I'm a practical guy and I have no issues with being at a 45degree up angle or even vertical in mid water to launch a large SMB, particularly when it helps ensure the reel and bag stay un-entangled. It beats trying to look cool in a a hyberbaric chamber.

In either case, once the SMB is on the surface you'll need a fair amount of negative buoyancy to keep it upright on the surface - at least 5 pounds. That's not an issue in technical diving where you'll end the dive with a 1/3rd reserve where you'll have at least 4 pounds of back gas remaining with 18/45, plus a 50% reserve in your deco gas to add some negative buoyancy.

However it can be an issue on a single tank pretty fish dive where having an extra 5-7 pounds of negative buoyancy leaves you over weighted, and in that case the options are to have the SMB laying down on the surface during the safety stop, swim down constantly during the stop, or just let it lie on the surface and get it vertical once you're on the surface.

I use a 6' and an 8' Carter SMBs. These are big SMBs but will require ~4lbs negative to stand upright. If you are hanging on it remember that if the SMB lets go, you are now suddenly 4lbs neg.

Also typical open bottom SMBs will not deflate if they go slack at the surface. Most I have seen have baffling to keep this from happening. Lift bags are a different story, if they go slack they will deflate.

A big SMB is valuable for doing long drifting decompression stops in waves with your boat keeping an eye on you and others doing the same thing from a respectable difference. Here are the specs on the XS 7 foot, 50# SMB:
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/liftbagssmb-xsscuba-7ftsurfacemarker-p-2579.html

Most divers will not need anything that big and will be better off with a smaller choice. There are many options.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/liftbagssmb-drisdivegear-6ftsmbwwhistle-p-2914.html
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/liftbagssmb-c-46.html

Back
Top Bottom