What to do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I really need to get away and once my open water course is complete I am thinking of heading south for a week. I have a few ideas in mind my first is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest and that is going on a Carnival or Norwegian cruise as I have been on many times already (so I know what I am shopping for). If I did that there are always shore excursions to do some scuba diving which I will now be able to do since I will be certified.

The other idea I was thinking is a Blackbeard cruise, I have heard mixed reviews about them (mostly old ones are the bad ones) but they seem alright to me. Its a reasonable price and the hardest part will be getting a deal on a flight.

finally I thought about a dive resort like Allegro Cozumel or Dive buddy. This is my more expensive option as the Canadian dollar isn't doing to great right now, but I would get a lot of diving in so it would be a lot of fun, given that I would be going with little diving experience beyond my OW course.

most likely I will be travelling with a non-diver. So what would you guys suggest/have done? I am also open to other places to visit within the Bahamas and Caribbean

Cozumel would be a good choice for you now as a newly certified diver. Papa Hogs http://www.papahogs.com/site/index2.php is owned by a couple of Canadians and they will treat you well.
The dollar totally sucks right now and we are hoping it improves soon so we can go back.
Until then we are sticking with diving at home.

Blackbeards has no privacy if you're traveling with a s/o. All the bunks are just curtained off and there's both a singles section and a couples section - some of those bunks open right onto the galley. How does your friend feel about 30 second freshwater showers? If you've seen "camping at sea" mentioned - it's not incorrect. Do they even have a non-diver price? Seems silly to pay for something your friend won't be doing.

I personally would never take a non-diver on a liveaboard dive boat unless they're extremely easy going, willing to put up with the entire schedule being based around the dive operations and willing to listen to dive conversation most of the time. I've been on several liveaboards and only have a basic idea of what any of those people do/live yet I've seen most of their pictures and heard all about their best dive experiences in detail.

On the cruise you'd be able to do probably a maximum of 2 dives/port and the cruise excursion prices are typically higher as well as the operators often chosen more for low bid and convenience to move a lot of divers thru their process than for being the best. So if you book the cruise, ask in our Cruise forum for better options at most ports. On Grand Cayman for example - a very popular cruise stop - there's about 4-5 better options in Georgetown - two are closer than the cruise operator - Fosters. And cost less.

I like your choice of Mexico. Villablanca Garden Hotel might be an affordable option but it's a little isolated. From your perspective - there's 4 dive operations either on-property or adjoining for any certification you need, your friend might be a little bored though. Although there is some snorkeling and the beach - it's a couple miles to town from there..

For diving, Papa Hogs is one of their package options. So is Dive Paradise.

I also see regular references to Apple Vacations? here. I gather they're some sort of travel consolidator in Canada. One thing that seems an option with them is a direct Cozumel charter flight from several Canadian cities. That's pretty much all I know of them not being in Canada.

Edit: oops I missed the after certification part initially...

I'd also post in our Cozumel forum if you decide on that. There's at least several Canadians that winter down there or live part time. From the U.S. - the "bag drag" - fly into Cancun then take the bus/ferry over to Cozumel - is often cheaper also. Not always though - or not worth the difference for the increased travel complexity.

Last edited:
Dive With Martin is a Cozumel op. often spoken highly of as a budget but quality operator. Haven't dove with them, but would check into it.

Key Largo, Florida can be quite reasonable. I did 20 dives in 5 days real cheap with Rainbow Reef Dive Center in 2013; their location moved a little, but this option should still be workable for you. My old trip report.

Richard.

How haven't I heard of papa hogs with what I search!!! They are very reasonable rates, Its nothing fancy but certainly something I would be willing to do I'll look much more seriously into that tomorrow!

I personally would never take a non-diver on a liveaboard dive boat unless they're extremely easy going

Yea as for Blackbeard's it is really the only one I would be comfortable travelling alone for, the camping at sea thing I have heard, sounds like something I would want to try once in my life haha

The Villablanca looks great too, seems I could experience the quality of papa hogs you are talking about and still stay in a pretty nice resort! I know airbnb might also be a good option if I can find one near a dive shop, not something I would want to try on Cozumel though, probably Grand Cayman.

... can I just go there and not come back? That is a responsible thing to do right?

Slym, my first dive trip after OW was to Cocoview in Honduras (Roatan actually) and it was wonderful for new divers and easy to team up. Difference is, my wife certified at the same time so I had a buddy with the same skill set. This worked well for us and I have no problem suggesting Cocoview to others. The problem is its pretty much isolated and a cab ride to town. They have a small beach (very small) and a very large platform with chairs and hammocks. Snorkeling could be just the trick to introduce her to diving. Good snorkeling...!

Bonaire is another great place for new divers but you will need a buddy. Same drawbacks as above.

IF you go with a cruise, find out your ports of call and build your own excursion and line up a dive trip with a local shop. Some great shops that will work with you and ensure you get back to the ship on time (here are two winners) Cozumel - Aldora divers and Roatan - Native Sons.

Regards, lee

Wow great trip report, Richard! Key Largo wouldn't be a bad destination, it would also give me the chance to see the African Queen in person (I am a huge Humphrey Bogart fan). I was looking at their site a bit this morning and if I understand it right, the hotel is just a walk away? And the only thing really needing worried about is food which gives a great chance to try food in the area!

Did you go with your own equipment, or rent? I will definitely be renting equipment bcd and regulator.

Back
Top Bottom