Chikungunya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true at all. Once you've had it, you are susceptible to having a more serious case the next time around - once you have had it, you are more likely to have hemorrhagic dengue the second and subsequent times. There are several different strains of it - so one could conceivably contract each strain, with more serious symptoms each time.

From the context, I think it's possible that mikeycanuk was referring to chikungunya rather than dengue. He's right about chikungunya (if you recover from an infection you're likely to have lifelong immunity). You're right about dengue.

I enjoyed this snippet from the WHO info on chikungunya:

The name chikungunya originates from a verb in the Kimakonde language, meaning 'to become contorted'. This refers to the 'stooped' appearance of those suffering with joint pain.​

Sounds like fun! Dengue has long been on my list of diseases I'd prefer not to get. Chikungunya is now on it, too. We don't always get much choice about diseases, but anything like this the risk of which can be reduced greatly by using proper repellent warrants using appropriate protective measures.

I'm guessing, for example, that you are not currently a proponent of the "wishful thinking and fairy dust" school of mosquito avoidance given your dengue history.

I prefer the name Chicken-Dengue. Like small pox and chicken pox. Easier to remember. (course it is pretty much just me using it.)

And I saw someone in Indiana maybe was diagnosed with the new Z one. Didn't say where they had been traveling.

And I saw someone in Indiana maybe was diagnosed with the new Z one. Didn't say where they had been traveling.

This one (Zika) is almost certainly going to become established in the US at some point (according to CDC). The virus flushes out of the body in about 7 days and 3 of 4 don't even know they had it. The really scary thing is that it has been found in sperm and they don't know if it can be sexually transmitted.

3 of 4 don't even know they had it.
The unknown carriers who will help it spread. Even if they develop a vaccine, there will be enough no-vaxers to keep it going.

I was on a trip to Cozumel last April with time spent diving and golfing. Toward the end of the week I woke up with what felt like a pulled muscle in my shoulder. The shoulder pain lasted until September and migrated from the left shoulder to the right and then finally went away. I could do any activity such as golf or diving and it never got worse yet would not go away. I even wondered if I had DCS though I was well within the limits. Now I wonder if it could have been the skeeter?

Gaffer

Oh no! They are reporting that the island is Zika-free!!! That must mean it is on the island. I knew of a handful of people with Chicken-Dengue when they said there was not any of that on the island!!

http://www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php?zona=qroo&idSeccion=5&idTitulo=456747
Cozumel, Free Zika

COZUMEL, 29 January.- Authorities of the Ministry of Health as well as many physicians who are leading medical institutions in the town, agreed that there has been a case of contagion zika patients, and they are working to act together if it were to be detected.
At least in the General Hospital, the Mexican Social Security Institute and the Institute of Social Security Serving State Workers (ISSSTE), agreed that the doctors in the hospitals there has been no case of patients they could be infected with this disease.
Noting that even in the case of classic dengue fever and dengue haemorrhagic, you have to notify the Ministry of Health of Quintana Roo, to be the recipient of this laboratory specimens and analyzed to confirm or rule out whether a patient could or not having dengue, chikungunya or where appropriate, zika, although the results are issued directly by the federation.
He let them know by the Health Center department tables in the city is already working with actions to combat breeding mosquitoes, plus they are implementing actions with the "Healthy House" program, which called on the heads family to work with permissions for access to the courtyards of the houses and thus water reservoirs which could proliferate mosquito transmitter of these conditions are removed.
They let us know that the symptom of virus infection most frequent zika is fever, although in some cases could not reach extremely high, is accompanied by joint pain with maculopapular eruptions, ie, red spots that may be you large raised slightly, and they do not bite. The rash usually begins on the face and then spread to the rest of the body.
They added that another common symptom in patients affected is redness, or conjunctivitis in both eyes, but without the presence of pus. Some infected have vomiting, abdominal pain or diarrhea. Additionally, as general symptoms muscle pain, general fatigue and headache are described, sometimes behind the eyes, so they recommended that if someone at home has these symptoms, be transferred to the trusted physician for immediate attention and power ruled in the case of this disease.

Last edited:
Oh no! They are reporting that the island is Zika-free!!! That must mean it is on the island. I knew of a handful of people with Chicken-Dengue when they said there was not of that on the island!!.

Not sure if the report was from the department of health or tourism. The same paper also has an article indicating cases in Tulum. Personnely I am keeping with my routine of lots of bug spray.

Here is the Tulum article and a semi translation via Chrome

http://www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php?zona=yucatan&idSeccion=1&idTitulo=456663

It Zika"

"The doctor told me" / Testimony of Sergio Dzib Chan, carpenter X-Can X-CAN.- "I was working wood doors in Tulum and the scorpion stung me here on my arm and after a while, I was stung cerquita the mosquito; when I got out of the van that comes to my house I felt very hot, very weak, but I took a bath and went to church, we had rehearsal for an important concert, but to sing, never left my voice, I had set up the microphone and Pastor Limber and friends Jorge, David and Carlos took me to the health center, the doctor told me it was Zika. " That was the story of Sergio Dzib Chan, carpenter, 28, a native of this station Chemax, Yucatan, and commuting to Tulum or Cancun to work as a carpenter. The young man, with a strong faith in their religion, said what worries him most is not being able to sing at the next concert will be on your church; irritation appeared close to his eyes and nose and said skin feel better, but Wednesday was a major upset. FOR THIS! He located the address of the young carpenter and arrived while a white van with YZG 8487 plates was parked at the door of the house and Sergio answered questions from a woman, accompanied by brigades of the Ministry of Health of Yucatán, and carrying membretados vests. They questioned how many cases had already detected and how Sergio was, and the answer was that they knew what we meant and there was nothing to confirm. However, on the windshield of the vehicle carried a copy of Por Esto! where we post as principal note the first cases of Zika in the state.Officials called off the conversation with the patient and climbed into the van. "Today has come to me many people, Pastor, my neighbors, I had never been on daily, I am very concerned because I'm afraid to lose my job tomorrow is payday, I will not lose my job. I sing, I am a singer, I am a Christian and I have great faith that I'll be fine, I want to keep singing in the church of Christ. "Here live alone, my mom is in Cancun with my brothers who are 15 and 16, my selling honey and dad will is there, I come and go. That day I got bitten by the scorpion and the gnat, I thought I was weak from the scorpion, but out of the van at 5 in the afternoon to get home I felt very hot; in the trial, after my bath, I felt stronger fever, but never felt like when I gave chikungunya, that already gave me, but I felt the same. "The doctor told me it was Zika, who could not leave because I can spread, I rest a week, I was prescribed paracetamol and gave me two sera that day, that day also came to be fumigated, Thursday I felt better. Here are pretty mosquito, but for trees, heat, right now no, because there is cold, "said the young man at the foot of the barricade. Sergio was reported to work as Zika sick and could not work, but now fear losing their jobs and not being paid. Sergio and a child under 7 years are the first two cases of Zika community in Yucatan and felt dismayed and genuinely curious in the presence of brigade going from house to house asking questions, as well as several trucks that circulated again and again through the streets of the village as rehearsing the route they would take to spray just fall afternoon.Men and women in the streets stopped to talk what happened on their bikes, tricycles, stopped to exchange how little they knew about it, and visited families for this! They said it heard by the newspaper as it did not understand why there were so many trucks spraying. The Health Center X-Can was around several sprayers trucks and in the main square people talked of nothing else. "God hears my prayers, I would be OK to sing and God willing I'll be fine, "Sergio said. (Veronica Martinez)

Treatment seems to be the same as for Dengue or Chikungunya. No aspirin, no NSAIDs (Advil, ibuprofen, etc), no alcohol, rest, stay hydrated, and watch for serious symptoms (esp. symptoms of during low platelets**) during Days 4 – 6 of the fever.

Treatment seems to be the same as for Dengue or Chikungunya. No aspirin, no NSAIDs (Advil, ibuprofen, etc), no alcohol, rest, stay hydrated, and watch for serious symptoms (esp. symptoms of during low platelets**) during Days 4 – 6 of the fever.

I dunno about Zika, but dengue and chicken-dengue can SUCK for quite a while after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom