Weight belt or pockets for BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are probably going to find it easier if you can find a friendly 'tech' instructor to help you sort out the backplate.

If you are using a zero break harness (aka DIR) then you should have enough slack to slide in and out. Far too many are set up too tight. You should also have a cutting device attached to cut the webbing free in an emergency.
You should still be able to slide out when in the water.

I like to distribute my weight between a belt and the Zeagle BP-attached pockets icechip mentioned. I had dived for years with a belt only, but when I got this BP switched to pockets only. However, I once had an equipment issue at about 30m that meant I had to climb out of my gear on the bottom. I had integrated weight only, which meant I was quite positively buoyant once I wasn't attached to my harness and plate anymore, and had to perform some adjustments whilst inverted and hanging onto my gear to stop floating to the surface. Last dive I did without a belt...

Yes, it's unlikely it would happen again. It was inconvenient enough not to risk it though...

Dave.

I have the Zeagle pockets attached to my plate, but I use them to hold my safety equipment. I keep a 4 lb. weight on a rubber belt. If I dive a 7mm suit I add another 4 lbs. in some form of permanent attachment. I still drop the belt in an emergency (never had to yet). I firmly believe the weight belt is the way to go.

I placed my weight on my Halcyon SS BP/W years ago and found with a steel 100 and a light wing, my rig would sink when not attached to me. During a shore dive I went to float my set up and get more weights for an OW student and my rig went to the bottom in 4'. I went to a homemade weight and trim harness, graduating to the DUI set up several years ago. I use it all the time, dry or tropics. I did end up changing the wing to a larger size. I dive with 14# dry in fresh water and use 8# in my 3 mm wet suit in the ocean.

I love my DUI weight and trim harness!

I'm going to chime in here a little late maybe but I think the obvious has been missed. And this is from my own perspective of moving to a wing with a thick wetsuit a couple of years ago

1. When moving from a conventional BCD to a wing there will be a reduction in the inherent buoyancy between the two anyway as a BDC never really gets rid of all its air
2. The OP claims 24 dives (similar to what I was when I changed over) Thus over time you're weighting requirement will become less anyway

I started with a SS plate, trim pockets on my cylinder (Steel) and integrated weight pockets on my harness. You can use simple weight pockets on the waist belt and use plastic weight retainer sliders to keep them in place. With the SS back plate there is more than enough weight capacity.

In My first months I could lose maybe 2lbs per dive day in weight as my skills and comfort improved because I dive different suit thicknesses over the year I found in the summer with no weight in the pockets, I was overweight with the SS plate. The next season I switched to and Ali plate and again by the end on the summer season felt I was heavy with no additional weight

Now I dive a plate less wing. And even with a dry suit (which I'm still getting comfortable with) I'm at 10lbs I think theres 2 - 4lbs to come off that with time.

The point I'm making is that you're weighting configuration will change over time - quite quickly at first as you get relaxed and experienced etc, so bear that in mind before you invest in specific weighting solutions. better to be modular and easily changed at the moment until it all settles down and you can then decide what the best weighting solution is going forward

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for asking. I did! I was feeling uncertain trying to adjust the harness with just the photos from that BAUE website to go by. It felt like when I had it where I could touch the top of the plate with my hand, the shoulder straps were way too tight. But if I loosened them so it was easier to get in and out, I couldn't touch the plate, and it sat very low and kind of dug into my pelvis (the iliac crest). I had a conversation with Tobin about it that did not go very well, so I was feeling very discouraged.

I was obsessing over getting it perfect before diving with it because I was worried about getting things wet when I might need to return or exchange them. Anyway I ultimately just adjusted it as best I could and refined it over the subsequent 3 dives. Thankfully I have a dive buddy who also has a bp&w and he was able to help me in person. It seems fine now and my buddy and I finally cut the harness down yesterday. :)

I tried the X Scuba belt with pockets for soft weights, which was too bulky and I returned it. I even tried XS Scuba pockets on a rubber belt and I still didn't like having the rubber belt and the harness both on my waist. So I just put the XS Scuba pockets on the harness itself. I have 2 trim pockets for the tank cam bands but when they are on, you have to unlace the cam band every time to remove the wing from the plate (DSS stuff) which is inconvenient.

I am now down to 5 lbs in each of the XS Scuba pockets on the harness waistband and no trim pockets. This weekend I had dives #24-26 at Catalina Island and on Dive #25 everything clicked. I had been overweighted before, and had always struggled with my buoyancy when still. Flutter kicking I was fine, but I was burning through a lot of air. On that dive I finally could hover with no problem, and could use frog kicks. They really don't work if you're trying to counteract sinking because you have too much weight.

I think that the velcro pockets will be easy enough to dump weight if I have to. I am a little concerned about the weights being on the rig and not on myself, should I need to take the rig off underwater, as some folks mentioned. But I suppose that is the case with any integrated-weight BCD also. The belt just wasn't working for me.

After getting everything set up, I really like the bp&w and I'm glad I made the switch. It's an elegant and simple system and it's easier to care for and pack than the BCD. I still have a couple of things I'm mulling over (whether to put a bead or dongle on the butt dump to make it easier to find - it's hard with 5mm gloves, for me; and where to mount my BCD knife that I really like).

Thanks again for following up. All the comments were helpful in some way and I always learn something when I come on Scuba Board. :)

Laikabear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom