How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will take one off you then :)

trouble is I have one thigh pocket, 2 spools 2 smb 3 torches wetnotes, jos line etc etc so most has to be clipped off
Sounds like you need to invest in a second pocket.:cool: I carry my SMB, and a camera (P&S) in my pocket, with sheers attached to the outside, sometimes I might have some other crap in there, but it's rare. My lights (I only have 2) are clipped my harness shoulder straps, one on each side. I wear an arm slate, if I bother with one, and don't have a jos line (not even sure what that is).

Its a piece of line looped, if you are going up an anchor line and its rough or long deco stops you can loop it around the anchor line, and put it over wrist, this acts as buffer and also keeps you on the line in a strong current

I made my own, a piece of heavier line, soft rope small finger thick, looped so its about 18" 500 mm

Last edited:
You guys take a lot of stuff with you.......

Me personally, not that often. Usually I'll deploy a DSMB for practice at the end of the dive, but I never actually need to because there's usually a DM that has a dive flag (drift diving so it's necessary). I could actually use more practice with it...

You guys take a lot of stuff with you.......
Well 2 to 3 torches (not big types, large pencil types, 2 DSMB yellow/orange, 2 spools, wetnotes, jos line, large reel). Dont think that's a huge amount of gear for wreck deco diving.

In some coutries, EVERYONE MUST HAVE a DSMB with him. Sometimes, the dive director insists, during the first "test dive" , that ever single diver deploys his own. In fact, quite often, this is the most amusing part of this first dive
:rolleyes::Do_O

This thread seems to bouncing around between a surface float/flag and a SMB. Quite different products and uses...

My home base is Tobermory and most diving is within a National Marine Preserve. The law requires divers haul a flag around behind them if shore diving, or that the boat they're diving from flies a dive flag. I do one shore dive every two years or so, but I fly a flag on my boat without exception.The one shore dive is typically New Years day, and there isn't much boat traffic (well, any) so we don't worry about it.

In other places in the Great Lakes (in Canada anyway) I believe the law requires we fly a flag if in "navigable waters". This is just common sense.

Regarding the SMB, I don't tend to carry one most of the time since the majority of dives are from a boat, tied to a mooring at a wreck site. Down the line and up the line, and we don't get the rip-a$$ currents that divers in the ocean are sometimes faced with.

On the other hand, when I'm in the ocean, I always carry one, or even two. We usually holiday in the outer cayes of Belize... small boat drift diving and nobody else is around. I also tend to leave the DM (with their blessing). While we generally find the boat is waiting for us (everyone else is usually on board already) but as a matter of courtesy to the captain, I usually blow a marker while we're doing a hang. That way he doesn't have to wonder where we are and waste his energy keeping an eye out for bubbles. It's obvious where we are.

I have two sizes of SMBs... 99% of the time, I use a 6' DAN job, with reflective stuff all over it. WAY better than the other little 3-footer...

I figure a large SMB and a spool is probably the cheapest gizmo can buy to make sure you are found.

I carry a 6 footer DSMB on every dive and would guess that I use it maybe 1 in 5 dives.

Most of my dives start/end from the shore with less than 5ft of depth and don't have any boat traffic.

Anytime I have to come up from a depth greater than 10ft I pop it up just in case a jet ski is lurking out there waiting to use my head as a ramp.

When diving in the ocean I pop one every time unless I am coming up the anchor chain or within 10ft of the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom