Finding the "right" gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBZ_in_YEG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A discussion on a different thread got me thinking about what I needed to know to choose the right gear for me. It's the old saying that I don't know what I don't know yet.. Got the mask figured, picked one that fit and sealed the best on my face.

Okay, let's start with regs. The regs that I have used so far have all given me air when I needed it. What does a person look for in regs?

Next would be BCD. I have used Oceanic and Aqualung jacket style BCD, both gave me a lift when I needed it. First impression of the jacket style BCDs I was using was that if I had more air in them, I had a feeling that they made me feel like I was more likely to roll in them. As I got more comfortable in them I didn't notice this as much. So without trying back inflate BCD or BP/W, how does one know the best style for themselves?

I think wetsuit is pretty straight forward as well. What temperature water will I be diving and proper (tight) fit.

Computer. I have used console mounted computers but didn't find them really handy to tuck and untuck them into somewhere on the BCD. Probably looking at watch or bungee mount, even though I have never used them that way. Then there is the bigger question of what features do I need vs. want vs. cool but will never use.

Looking for advice as to how others have geared up.

Research research research.

All gear is generally going to work the trick is finding comfort, and what works best for your type of diving. There is tons of gear with even more opinions about that gear.
I dive sidemount and prefer apeks regs. Others will only use bpw and scuba pro regs.
Others are fine with jacket bcds and others prefer back inflate.

Your best bet is to demo as much as you can and find the gear that works best for the type of diving you want to do.
Keep in mind this also my change as you progress through your diving career.

Computer. I have used console mounted computers but didn't find them really handy to tuck and untuck them into somewhere on the BCD. Probably looking at watch or bungee mount, even though I have never used them that way. Then there is the bigger question of what features do I need vs. want vs. cool but will never use.

My advice on the computer is narrow it down by:
  1. budget.
  2. Puck vs watch-sized: typically the latter is almost small enough to wear as a watch, smaller display may be harder to see underwater, and costs a bit more than comparable puck-sized option.
  3. Do you want to see your tank pressure on your wrist aka Air Integration? Pressure sensor/transmitters are in $300+ range and you're probably better off fitting them to your own regs. You can buy the transmitter separately later though.
  4. Do you plan to go full tech in the next year or three? If not, a tech computer now will get you all those cool features you won't use.

Okay, let's start with regs. The regs that I have used so far have all given me air when I needed it. What does a person look for in regs?
Serviceable world wide, established company, Scubapro for me
Next would be BCD. I have used Oceanic and Aqualung jacket style BCD, both gave me a lift when I needed it. First impression of the jacket style BCDs I was using was that if I had more air in them, I had a feeling that they made me feel like I was more likely to roll in them. As I got more comfortable in them I didn't notice this as much. So without trying back inflate BCD or BP/W, how does one know the best style for themselves?
Minimalist, adjustable, usable with different bladder sizes. I use a BP/W
I think wetsuit is pretty straight forward as well. What temperature water will I be diving and proper (tight) fit.
yup
Bungee mountable, easy to read, gauge mode option, user replaceable battery with a type you can easily find/pack spares of, backlit or LED screen. Scubapro 3g does aight, Shearwater if you wanna spend big, but stay away from Liquivision (I love the screen and the interface, but they aren't a quality product). OR save your nickels and go bare bones with a Uwatec digital depth gauge and learn on that.

Good questions. Straightforward. I will try to give straightforward responses (note: I did not specify 'answers').
DBZ_in_YEG:
It's the old saying that I don't know what I don't know yet.
Exactly. Remember that statement, as you read on.
DBZ_in_YEG:
Got the mask figured, picked one that fit and sealed the best on my face.
Good start. Have you used it underwater yet? Have you worn it for 3 hours straight? If so, how does it feel? Is the skirt colored? Dark (i.e. black)? Clear?
DBZ_in_YEG:
The regs that I have used so far have all given me air when I needed it.
Under what conditions? Shallow? Deep? In current, with heavy breathing? In warm water. In cold water?
DBZ_in_YEG:
What does a person look for in regs?
The above considerations, plus: a) serviceability, b) configuration - hose lengths and position, c) second stage features (venturi control?, user-adjustable breathing?), d) alternate configuration (Cheap, detuned, octo? Equivalent / identical alternate second stage? Alternate integrated inflator? Alternate on a bungee necklace?) The list continues, and goes beyond simple brand and model, and necessarily involves personal preferences which usually emerge with use.
DBZ_in_YEG:
I have used Oceanic and Aqualung jacket style BCD, both gave me a lift when I needed it. First impression of the jacket style BCDs I was using was that if I had more air in them, I had a feeling that they made me feel like I was more likely to roll in them. As I got more comfortable in them I didn't notice this as much.
Exactly as it should be. A good diver can use any BCD style, as long as they learn how. Equipment is neither a substitute nor surrogate for skills. Good for you.
DBZ_in_YEG:
So without trying back inflate BCD or BP/W, how does one know the best style for themselves?
You don't. You can learn what is great for others - most of us on SB are happy to tell you what we use. And, some can even tell you WHY. And, that may help you make an initial foray into gear ownership. But, what I like may not work for you. Try before your buy, if you can. If not, try after you buy, if you can.
DBZ_in_YEG:
Possibly. But, are you going to 'layer'? If so, are you looking at a 'skin' undergarment? A vest? Low top boots? Mid-range boots? Hard sole for walking over surfaces?
DBZ_in_YEG:
I have used console mounted computers but didn't find them really handy to tuck and untuck them into somewhere on the BCD.
Did you try putting a SS bolt snap on the end of the console, and then clipping the console to a D-ring on your waist? Do you have a BCD with a waist D-ring?
DBZ_in_YEG:
Probably looking at watch or bungee mount, even though I have never used them that way.
Good. Why not rent a wrist unit and see how you like it? Do you want a 'watch' size? Do you want a bigger screen?
DBZ_in_YEG:
Looking for advice as to how others have geared up.
Trial and error. It has taken me many years to find what works best for me. That doesn't mean that i have bought multiple sets of gear. I still have the very first regulator I purchased, although I have changed the configuration - hose lengths primarily. If I knew at the start what I know now, it would have been easier. But, that wasn't the case. Some things are simply not knowable at a given time, and you have to start somewhere. We are fond of saying things like, 'Buy your second set of gear the first time.' Sounds really clever, doesn't it? The reality is that we often have to try some things to decide what we prefer. And, worse than that, our preferences change over time, and we have to continue to try.

Now, I don't want this response to be a 'downer'. What you can do is, as Foxhound mentioned, spend time in research. Don't overdo it. Look for threads and posts that describe not only WHAT someone uses, but WHY (beyond the simple, 'I use this. I like it.'). Look at what other divers are using at your local sites, and ask them why - what they like about their rig, and how it meets their needs.

Last edited:
ok, so there is no such thing as "step up" or "beginner" dive equipment. There are just styles of equipment. What you need to do is look at your ultimate diving goal and purchase accordingly. I.e. if you want to do sidemount cave diving, there is no point in buying equipment that won't work for sidemount cave diving. If you want to do any sort of technical diving in backmount, there is no point in buying a stab jacket, just buy the plate and wing and be done with it. I still have my first bc and first reg set. I don't use them often since they are my travel set and I don't travel hardly ever, but they are still viable for the diving that I do.

My regulator requirements-not what I actually own btw
Swivel turret first stage-gives the best hose routing for sidemount and backmount
Matching second stages-I like my regs to be the same whether I'm on primary or secondary
User serviceable-this can also be global servicing depending on whether or not you choose to service your own or not. Warranty not tied to service intervals, this is stupid and a waste of money. You should never have a warranty issue, but it's the principal of the thing.
I own Poseidon Jetstreams for all of my regs which don't have a turret, but are user serviceable. Dive Rite XT would be my first choice, followed by a tossup between Scubapro MK25/G260 or S600, Apeks XTX50/DST, or whatever flavor of Atomic you choose.

BC-choose backmount or sidemount. If sidemount choose mexico style or florida style, and that's a can of worms. For backmount, I highly recommend a Stainless Steel backplate with a wing of appropriate size based on your exposure protection and tank size. My personal choice is Deep Sea Supply because I need a long pattern plate, and that's the only one available. On top of that it offers the best bang for your buck in my opinion and has some nice features that others don't. Basically all steel backplates are the same, and most single tank wings are the same, and if you go that route, there is a lot of factors that will help you to choose one over the other.

Exposure protection-does it fit? Is it the right thickness? After that it doesn't really matter. I don't believe in Semi-dry suits or diving deeper than 100ft in anything thicker than a 5mm. If you are at that point, just buck up and go dry.

Computer-Shearwater Perdix or bust for me. I don't believe in single gas computers, whether you're doing deco or not, if you're diving nitrox and your buddy is on air and you have to air share for whatever reason, it may very well complicate things on the second dive, probably not since he's on air, but I'd rather it track my actual nitrogen loading. I like Shearwaters GUI, I like that they use AA batteries, I like that it has a compass built in, and it is reasonably priced compared to other high end computers. Hell it is cheaper than damn near all of them since the Canadian dollar is basically monopoly money right now.

if you're diving nitrox and your buddy is on air and you have to air share for whatever reason, it may very well complicate things on the second dive, probably not since he's on air, but I'd rather it track my actual nitrogen loading. I like Shearwaters GUI, I like that they use AA batteries, I like that it has a compass built in, and it is reasonably priced compared to other high end computers. Hell it is cheaper than damn near all of them since the Canadian dollar is basically monopoly money right now.

"Hey I know I'm out of gas and all, but hold on and lemme switch gases on my computer real quick for this 3 minute ascent we're about to do!"

Criminey.

Computer-Shearwater Perdix or bust for me ... Hell it is cheaper than damn near all of them since the Canadian dollar is basically monopoly money right now.

Hehe. I don't think that actually works out that way if you're in Canada getting paid in CAD.

Personally if I were buying I'd put the ability to see my tank pressure on my wrist above anything of perdices (perdisks's?) shiny features. Plus for the kind of diving I plan to do in the foreseeable future the $800 perdix doesn't offer any practically useful functionality over my $200 leonardo.

I have a philosophy. Buy the cheapest, or buy the best. The best doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. The Leonardo fits the cheapest bill, but the Shearwaters have a bunch of nice features that make it better. If you value AI, then that is fine, but that is just where I put my money and opinion.

WRT the gas switch on ascent, does it matter? Like I said, probably not in the grand scheme of things, but I prefer to switch and on the SW it is two button presses and done. Important to me if you are unable to make a direct ascent to the surface for whatever reason. I.e. going to the other side of the wreck to hit the up-line.

What gear is best? Whatever suits YOU. That can be a single feature that you like. Maybe it's because you like how another diver uses it. In reality, there's very little gear that is completely unusable. Just because I don't like a piece of gear doesn't mean it's bad either. It means it just doesn't suit me.
Get use to the fact that your diving will evolve. There is a lot of gear I thought I liked until I used it or grew out of it. Most of it I couldn't borrow, so I just had to buy it to try it. I either sold it, gave it away or re-purposed it. In the end, it's all good.

BTW, I still own the very first fins I bought back in 1969. Those Scuba Pro Jets were sold to me by Hal Watts. He told me I could kick the crap out of the reef and not hurt the fin. My, how times have changed. The fins are still around, but no one would ever use that line to sell them! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom