Finding the "right" gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy what you have reached a comfort level with. I started out buying very early in my career and over the years I have bought and sold a lot of gear. So far, I'm only a few thousand in the hole.

I have a philosophy. Buy the cheapest, or buy the best. The best doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive.

When it comes to computers my view of the "best" is heavily distorted by comp. sci. education and "it" practice. :wink: One says you need to figure out what it you actually need done and then get the device that does it. The other says these things tend to fall on the log curve and you get to the cusp (aka the point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in) very quickly.

My point's not that $200 puck is the cheapest, it's that it does all I actually need and it's the cheapest.

"Hell it is cheaper than damn near all of them since the Canadian dollar is basically monopoly money right now."

Assuming you were replying to the OP, do you have any idea where Edmonton, Alberta is?

Somehow I don't think exchange rates work the way you think they do.

I think that you are on the right track in your search for the right gear; comfort, fit & performs for your needs.

The question you need to ask is " What are your needs? " . Are you going to be a warm water diver? Or dive in local sites? Or both? Are you going to be a recreational diver? Or are going Tech? Or Pro?

I agree with FoxHound, research.

The choices will be determined by the type of diving you plan to engage in, a local diver in Canada will have different needs than one who travels to the tropics for his diving. And a budget can limit what or how fast you can acquire gear.

I'm of the school that any gear that works and is servaveable is better than not having gear because you are saving for something you might need five or more years from now. Get some decent gear, dive, and find out what type of diving you enjoy. I figure buy your first reg first, because regardless, you will buy another reg later for one reason or another.

Bob

Appreciate all the responses so far. As I thought, there are a lot of things that I hadn't even thought of yet. It's all good though, as it gets me to answer some important questions like dive local vs tropical or both. Can't see my best half diving local, but I would love to see what's under the water locally and off the west coast, so we'll have to see. Maybe I can get a special loonie discount on a Shearwater computer:wink:. Had to look them up to confirm they're from the homeland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom