Scuba diver goes missing off Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kelp is not an issue at this time, as there isn't much of it and certainly hardly any reaching the surface due to warm water for too log.

kelp is not an issue at this time, as there isn't much of it and certainly hardly any reaching the surface due to warm water for too log.

Totally agree. The kelp issue isn't an issue right now.

I think the response in calling the Coast Guard speaks strongly to the morals and attitude of the operator. But then, this entire event speaks volumes about the morals and attitude of an operator.

This is the type of insightful analysis of dive accidents that benefits all divers. Thanks.

This is the type of insightful analysis of dive accidents that benefits all divers. Thanks.
Thanks. In my opinion, it's part of the root cause of the problem. If it benefits all divers by getting them to understand the type of operator they have picked, all the better. THE BOAT LEFT THE DIVE SITE WITH A DIVER IN THE WATER. Maybe you missed the point.

We seem to be spinning on things like blame and motivation. How helpful are these things?

I have the kernel of an idea I'd like feedback on:
Association of Concerned Southern California Divers (or the like)

The Association could develop / implement a protocol for diver boat safety (maybe call it "Laurel's Call"). All stakeholders would be invited / encouraged to join.

^ That's the kernel part. I have other ideas that go along with it, but is there a sense that this might be helpful, at least locally?

Thanks!

undrwater, you are exactly right. I mentioned that in an earlier post that we as divers could probably find a process that was universal and comfortable for all involved.

We seem to be spinning on things like blame and motivation. How helpful are these things?

I have the kernel of an idea I'd like feedback on:
Association of Concerned Southern California Divers (or the like)

The Association could develop / implement a protocol for diver boat safety (maybe call it "Laurel's Call"). All stakeholders would be invited / encouraged to join.

^ That's the kernel part. I have other ideas that go along with it, but is there a sense that this might be helpful, at least locally?

Thanks!

It seems to me the safety procedures are already in place. As pointed out earlier, human error is simply something that can't be fixed. Everyone makes mistakes, even with the best safety procedures.

It also sounds like you would be advocating regulation over scuba diving? Is that really what divers want? Who would do the regulating? The government? Divers themselves? Who is going to fund that?

As a Non-CA diver, looking at this “gate system”, I understand that there could be a quite a bit of traffic back and forth until the gate closes, i.e. are no more divers allowed back in the water. Is there a “gate-keeper”, the person who is logging people as they go in and when they exit the water? If so, this person could alert the rest of the boat they have a diver past due in order to rule out if they got past the gate-keeper and on the boat, or maybe surfaced farther away from the boat than they should have and taking longer to get back?

Yes, it only takes a matter of a few minutes for a diver in trouble underwater not to survive. Yes, it would be very hard to pinpoint a long over-due diver underwater, especially, when there are so many divers coming and going. But there should be someone at least tracking the time of ALL divers in the water so the boat could be aware of a possible problem and on alert.

Yes, one does not want waste resources that could have been needed for a real emergency. But in an instance where the boat doesn’t keep track of all the divers and leaves one behind, an immediate call should have been put out to the closest emergency resource. That way, the emergency unit could start preparing. If the distance between the two dive sites was only about 10-15 minutes, the boat could have made it back to Ship Rock before the emergency unit even left the dock or became airborne. Upon reaching Ship Rock and finding the diver, they could have called off the search or if they didn’t find the diver, it would have shortened the launch time. And, a trained unit such as the Isthmus Baywatch should have the good sense not to run over a presumed lost diver, possibly floating on the water.

There will always be human error but are they made in spite of the best safety procedures or because the best safety procedures were not followed?

It seems to me the safety procedures are already in place. As pointed out earlier, human error is simply something that can't be fixed. Everyone makes mistakes, even with the best safety procedures.

It also sounds like you would be advocating regulation over scuba diving? Is that really what divers want? Who would do the regulating? The government? Divers themselves? Who is going to fund that?

The safety procedures already in place don't seem to be working well, as can be seen in this post as well as others. What I'm proposing is a somewhat universal protocol (I say somewhat because boats and circumstances are often different...maybe) that could be adopted by any organization that wishes to do so.

I personally DON'T advocate the government taking over or regulating our industry. We are self-regulated, and that IS what I'm advocating. That's the purpose of an association. If we can, as a community, put our collective heads together, I believe we can come up with a system or protocol that is safe, simple, easy to implement, and cheap. I believe it should be documentable as well.

Starting locally should be achievable if there is interest in the community.

Is there a “gate-keeper”, the person who is logging people as they go in and when they exit the water?
Just to be clear, YES, this is the role of the DM. Generally, they are at or near the gate and when a diver is ready to go, the DM notes the time in on a DM slate (column 1) and off they go. When they're back on board, they check in with the DM and time back is noted on the slate (column 2). When it's presumed everyone is back, then a roll call (visual, verbal, whatever) is conducted and a check mark placed in column 3 to note the diver has been accounted for.

Here's what ours looks like. 8.5x14" (legal size). 36 divers which includes DMs. Each diver (including DMs) has a number for the day. Four dives per page. "Hang Line" is a weighted line we hang off the back of the boat for safety stops and log in/out so we don't get it tangled in the props. "CR" is for any crew members that dive.
ReefSeekersDMslateJPG.jpg

- Ken

Reactions: Jax
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom